tra

4 posts
mothercake
Options:
Share this post on:

tra

Postby mothercake » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Taking my year old on a 3 hour train journey to the Poole on my own this week. Really worried as I have never done such a long Shift on public transport on my own. How do I ensure we have a hick – up free trip. Also worried about getting separated from our luggage! My neighbor had her luggage stolen on the train to Gatwick last month. I really hate using the loos on the trains really hopping there is no poo nappy to change!
lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: tra

Postby lemonzest » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi mothercake,

Didn't want your post to go unanswered! I'm sure you will be fine :-) I did lots of train-ing (and coaching - would not recommend!; and plane-ing) alone with small person from a few weeks to assertive toddler stage... Trains are my favourite way to travel with a small person. Mine much preferred it to being trapped and bored in the car. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's luggage being stolen - I hope that is a very rare occurrence!

Make sure you remember to take plenty of nappies, wipes, food, lots of snacks, water etc (for you as well). Not sure whether your little one is walking? If so that should keep them entertained for a while...! Up and down, up and down. If still crawling I have been known to spread a plastic sheet in part of the vestibule for them to roll/play a bit. I'm a health and safety nightmare, obviously! A couple of small books, some small toys (you may find good suggestions on some of the airplane threads), I sometimes packed a separate small bag of tiny toys for mine eg a finger puppet, a car, a baby toy, a book for them to unpack and refill etc. I think I found an Aquadoodle thing quite handy at this stage. Will they look at photos on your phone for a couple of minutes?

How much luggage do you need? I tried to eg shove a travelcot (if required) under the buggy and then carry a rucksack/holdall into the neighbouring seating area with me and small person.

Weirdly I don't recall ever changing in a train loo (except Eurostar when taking her with me for work), so obviously got away with it on domestic legs! I have been known to change child on top of the buggy (with a huge changing mat) in places where no toilet was available. You could always wheel the buggy into the disabled loo I guess and do that if you were really uneasy about the changing facilities?

Hope this helps.
Ginatonica
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ginatonica » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:48 pm

I have regularly travelled on Virgin trains with my little boy, although it is certainly getting more challenging as he gets older!

My tip would be to find out where the disabled access is on the train (usually there is a train map somewhere on the train company's website) and either aim for that carriage or even try and book a seat in the carriage as near to the wheelchair spot as possible. You will then have space for your buggy and your luggage close at hand, and also the disabled toilet should be close by in case of nappy change (or if you need the loo!)

There is always the risk that there will also be a wheelchair in that spot but I had this once on a Virgin train and there was still plenty of space for us all.

Other than that, usual travel tips apply. Toys, books, snacks, maybe a video on an ipad/tablet/iPhone.

Hope you have a good journey!
saffamum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby saffamum » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 am

Yes I have also done long train journeys before and it's not that hard if you plan and book the seats next to the disabled access and if it's free sit there. Plenty of room for your buggy and suitcases. Another very handy hint is to book special assistance. You go a little early and they transport you, baby and luggage directly to he train and help you get on and settled! This is with virgin though so I am unsure about other suppliers.

Worth calling up to find out.

Good luck!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.