Post a reply :NEWTON PREP 2019

Guest Information

This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

BBCode is OFF
Smilies are OFF

Topic review

Expand view Topic review: NEWTON PREP 2019


by mum_1980 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am

We moved our son mid year in Year 1. He loved his old school so we had to make him comfortable with the move. We told him he was going and then here are a few things we did:

1) Took him to visit his new school (school tour)
2) Took him to spend a morning in his new school - this was great as he got to know some of the kids and was looking forward to seeing them again
3) We picked out some of the features that were better and that would appeal to him and made a big deal of it. For example his new school had an amazing playground so we talked about how exciting this was.
4) Once we moved him, I continued to arrange play dates with his old friends so that he didn't feel it was such a wrench. This helped as he didn't feel like we were pulling him away from his old friends. For a while this meant I was busy organising playdates with old friends and new friends but this soon passed and he doesn't see or ask for his old school friends any more...


by Balham1981 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:35 am

Hello Everyone!

Since the last post my daughter has passed an assessment for Newton Prep and has been offered a place for Year 2 in September.

We are pleased but very nervous as she does not want to leave her friends behind at the very good local state primary she attends.

In the long term I do believe the school will be a better fit but it’s hard when they are so young!

Any advice on how to manage the process would be highly appreciated!


by whirlwind » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:36 am

We live in Balham and my children are at Newton Prep. We are v happy with the school, and the commute is v easy. Obviously it depends how far you live from the station, but the train journey itself is very easy and extremely civilised 95% of the time. The remaining 5% is down to train delays, but Southern has improved since all the problems. Over the past couple of years, I have only had to drive to school a handful of times due to the trains not running. The commute is actually much easier than when we lived in Clapham - we used to walk to Newton, but it was a 15-20 min walk on hugely busy roads, and the bus at rush hour was no quicker than walking/scooting. There are quite a few Newton families who live around Balham/Wandsworth Common. Good luck with your decision.


by julie cheeseman » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Hello , Im a childminder to a little boy who goes to newton prep and mum and dad are very happy ,so much so that no. 2 is also to start there in the near future. 


by Ramaboo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 pm

i have one child in nursery, starting reception in Sept. We don't know yet about the school but nursery has been a big success so far - nice parents, nice atmosphere.
Can't advise on travel though


by Balham1981 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:12 pm


I am in the process of possibly changing schools for my 5 year old daughter to start in September.

Newton Prep and Japs have been on our list.

I am in particular looking for feedback of any parents who have had experience with Newton Prep.  Particularly anyone who travels from Balham?

Many thanks