Review - Creating Readers Workshops (3-5 year olds)

1 post
joNVN
Options:
Share this post on:

Review - Creating Readers Workshops (3-5 year olds)

Postby joNVN » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:10 pm

Coram Beanstalk - Creating Readers Workshops (3-5 year olds)  

Recently, the reading charity Coram Beanstalk invited NappyValleyNet to try out their new workshops aimed at guiding parents, grandparents and those who regularly look after pre-school and primary school-aged children through how to get the best out of sharing books together and to help build the foundations of a lifelong love of reading.     

Coram Beanstalk has over 45 years' experience in training volunteers to help children aged 3-13 in pre-schools and primary schools to improve their reading ability and enjoyment. Using their expertise, they have recently launched three short workshops which focus on equipping individuals, with techniques and skills that will help them to set children up to become lifelong readers.    

The three new ‘Creating Readers’ workshops each last two hours and have been developed to suit different age groups (ages 3-5, 6-8 and 9-11), each based around encouraging children with their reading.   

We attended the Creating Readers workshop for ages 3-5. With three young readers in the house, I was keen to know how to get the most out of reading time with them and how to encourage them individually without making it stressful or a task that needs to be done.

The workshop showed me different ways to bring fun into reading through games with books, reading aloud and using the same book in lots of different ways. Having got 2 out of 3 reading, if I’m being honest, my parent enthusiasm to go through this again for a third time might have dipped (please don’t judge - I have been reading the Gruffalo over and over for over 7 years!!!).

The workshop has certainly helped introduce me to new ways of working with the same books so that it’s different every time. Even the oldest wanted to listen into the 3 year old's bedtime story for my impression of the Tiger eating all the buns! We have also adopted the idea that reading isn’t just for bedtimes. In a busy household, we were definitely in that routine, and now we often have a story at dinnertime. Trust me it works! For me to turn the page, another mouthful goes in! This has really helped with both extra reading time and my sanity at dinnertime!       

The workshops are well structured and very interactive, with lots of time for questions and individual concerns. Our trainer Amy was fantatstic - very engaging and encouraging. The workshop had parents, Early Year teachers and grandparents attending, so a real mix of experiences and requirements, which Amy was able to get round by sharing lots of advice and tips. The course was a great source of information and I left feeling equipped with new skills to help my children enjoy reading. I’m also really enjoying some one-one-one time, curling up and feeling confident that I am helping them enjoy their books! 

There are two courses (3-5 year olds) coming up in London on the 30th and 31st January. The cost is £50 per person. This includes a two-hour workshop with a Coram Beanstalk trainer and post-workshop materials.  

For more information visit: www.corambeanstalk.org.uk/creatingreaders where you can book directly, or call 020 7729 4087.
Attachments
Creating Readers_3-5 workshop pilot_5.jpg
Creating Readers_3-5 workshop pilot_2.JPG

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.