Supporting local businesses

4 posts
SW11er
Options:
Share this post on:

Supporting local businesses

Postby SW11er » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

Just saw a couple of the threads (QT toys and Fruit and Veg delivery) and also walked past Tamara saying they are now doing deliveries.

Obviously it’s going to be a super hard time for independent businesses and I am not sure they can wait for government support.

I thought it would be good to have a thread on here for those local businesses that are struggling but are trying to find ways to keep their heads above water by changing their business models, to advertise what they are doing.

And also urging those that are still pulling in a fixed salary but not spending as much to try and support those where possible.

I will definitely be ordering from Tamara as I think the food is great and they are a good local business.

And what will local landlords be doing in terms of the extortionate rents. If they are sensible they will act quickly and offer some concessions to good tenants who will pay well in the long run.
RandomCommentard
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Supporting local businesses

Postby RandomCommentard » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:37 pm

The idea of landlords offering rent holidays makes me chuckle quite a lot.

Not because it is a bad idea, it is a very sensible idea, but because the whole commercial rental sector can't identify any way of helping itself. It has essentially worked hard to stuff itself over the last decade with some pretty eye watering increases in costs of businesses that are not related to the underlying asset.

You go back 15-20 years it was a symbiotic relationship with landlords trying to keep business in business.

Now the whole thing revolves around showing a % rental yield so that the landlord can be borrowed up to the hilt. If the landlord relaxes the yield they default and are stuffed.

Actually the whole of commercial property thing will be stuffed after this. Shopping centres will be worthless as COVID will drive behavioural change to online shopping. Online will gain a huge level of capacity.

Office working will become even less important once everyone realises that they can work from home perfectly well and now with proper full fibre broadband being installed all over the country it is doable even for IT demanding jobs.
3littlemonkeys
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby 3littlemonkeys » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Just seen a post from the pie man who will be delivering homemade frozen ready meals within London. As you say, we must support small businesses and hope they can ride the storm!
SWbrewery
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SWbrewery » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:21 pm

My husband's brewery in Battersea is offering home delivery and collection. We'd really appreciate your support in spreading the word to any and all local beer lovers!

Visit Mondo Brewing Company online or call 020 7720 0782 to place an order.

Thank you!