12 yrs old tantrums, homeschooling, lockdown etc...

4 posts
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

12 yrs old tantrums, homeschooling, lockdown etc...

Postby supergirl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:20 pm

Not sure if i want help or a place to vent... but I m sure I cant be the only mum / parent who feel this way 😉

My daughter has no problems or issues that need sorted. She is just a typical pre teen that knows it all, seen everything, with an attitude one minute and her typical lovely, funny, generous and hard working self the next... :x

Am keeping relatively calm, i ignore a lot then when the storm has passed we talk. She feels sorry, i tell her her feelings are normal but the way she acts on those feelings are unacceptable. I ve suggested a few CBT ways of dealing with them. I ve sent her some articles to read etc...

But i want to SCREEEEAM bloody murder it is so infuriating. And since we re in lockdown we re all on top of each other no matter how big the house is...

Short of starting a G&T now or having it on a drip, please share your coping strategies....

This lockdown seems like there is no end to it! 😖😭

Thank you so much.

Sxx
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: 12 yrs old tantrums, homeschooling, lockdown etc...

Postby supergirl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:23 pm

I mean it lighthearted by the way and maybe a place to vent our frustrations as parents of pre teens / teens 😂
Bevvers
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bevvers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

I sympathise with you. The children are as frustrated as us about not being able to see friends, attend their hobbies and clubs etc, and pre teens/ teenagers are emotional and hormonal. However, knowing what the problem is doesn’t make it easier to deal with, but I find comfort knowing this is normal. So, what to do? I have three teenagers at home, and just like when they were little I find routine helps..... proper bed and mealtimes even though they’re not out as early for school. And good old fashioned fresh air daily...... easier said than done I know, but a dog walk, or shopping delivery to a neighbour, or just a cycle round the park helps no end. And gin, that always helps. Good luck, trust me you are not the only one and it does get better.
SWtastic
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SWtastic » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:38 am

This sounds very hard to deal with but, with the greatest respect, your daughter does have an issue that needs sorting if she's unable to manage or process her emotions.  Sometimes young people can't see the woods for the trees and just aren't equipped to know how to deal with when they are erupting and mum or dad are the last people they want to speak to about it!  

I think it would be good for her to talk through what's happening with someone who's not emotionally involved.  Have you approached her school as they generally will have links with counsellors who she could talk to, or she could use the KOOTHs app where she can access a real person to speak to or chat rooms where others may be going through similar?

Good luck - it's hard for this age group normally, let along during a pandemic when so much has been taken away from them.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.