Party wall surveyor

2 posts
Ruby 2
Options:
Share this post on:

Party wall surveyor

Postby Ruby 2 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 pm

I appointed a party wall surveyor in October 2020 and 7 months on still no sign of an award. Can I complain about the shabby service I’ve received. I’ve paid nearly 2000 pounds for either side of me, and then one neighbour decides not to use my surveyor but to get her own, which I have to pay for. I’m at my wits end as no schedule of works has been done on one side, as they wouldn’t let a surveyor in due to COVID-19 although I did see other workman entering her property. My surveyor has tried to make contact with her surveyor to get a schedule of works. But hasn’t had much joy. Can anyone give me advice, as next step is a solicitor but this will be costly. I’ve spent so much and not even a hammer has been lifted :(((
SWtastic
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Party wall surveyor

Postby SWtastic » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:17 pm

That is very poor service.  Your surveyor should be regulated by RICS and should have a complaints procedure, so that should be your starting point.

With regards to your neighbour, they're fully entitled to appoint their own surveyor at your cost (this should be factored into any building budget) and to charge you for any party wall that they erected and you will be utilising as part of your build but they should be cooperating with giving access.  I am gathering they have dissented by not engaging with the process and would imagine any potential claim couldn't be entertained if they haven't given access but you'd need to check this....when your surveyor resurfaces.   It can be an extremely frustrating process.  Good luck.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.