Honeywell, Belleville, Henry Cav waiting lists and Alderbrook acceptance

5 posts
AbbMum23
Options:
Share this post on:

Honeywell, Belleville, Henry Cav waiting lists and Alderbrook acceptance

Postby AbbMum23 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am

Hi,

We are trying to get a gauge of how many people who are on the Belleville and Honeywell waiting lists but got accepted to Alderbrook, will be taking that Alderbrook place?

We were very optimistically hoping to get into Honeywell, Belleville and even Holy Ghost. We are well down the waiting lists on all three. It is apparent the waiting lists are very long (atleast 60 for Honeywell and Belleville).

We have toured and met the new head at Alderbrook and he seems very decent. The staff all seem young and keen which I think is what you want out of your teachers. I think he has a very good chance of lifting the rating to outstanding. From discussions with him it also seems the standards and test scores have been improving under his leadership.

If you look at the stats for Alderbrook the only real difference is the % of school meals. Based on my analysis the % of school meals seems to have a reasonable correlation with achievement. If school meal % decreased then I would imagine test scores also go up. If you look at the catchment map for Alderbrook and Belle/Honey the logical conclusion is that the majority of children not going to Belle/Honey will be offered Alderbrook as a third choice. You would have thought that Alderbrook would then have a very low % of school meals based on that area and higher test scores + outstanding rating.

So Alderbrook is perhaps in a chicken and egg situation. All it is going to take is a higher percentage of these more affluent parents taking a chance on Alderbrook and it will be in the pack with Belle/Honey/Henry Cav and Telfer.

I’m guessing a lot of people don’t go to Alderbrook just based on the Good rating and if they don’t get into Belle/Honey they then go private.

We view private primary school, particularly before 8 as a complete waste of money (this is backe up by insight from teacher friends who have worked in both state and prep schools), particularly with after school activities broadening the child’s horizons. We are taking the Alderbrook place up.

I’d be very interested to hear views on this, particularly from people that got into Alderbrook but first preferences were Belleville Honeywell Henry Cavendish.

No need for any negative views on the school meal/achievement situation. This is borne out by the stats not a personal view.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Honeywell, Belleville, Henry Cav waiting lists and Alderbrook acceptance

Postby Goldhawk » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:50 am

Have you compared the Progress scores?

Belleville & Honeywell haven't been inspected for years but their reputation lives on

Alderbrook is just not in demand in the same way - as evidenced by the admissions offers - there was no max distance this year - they were not oversubscribed
atbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby atbattersea » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:46 pm

Free school meals at Newton Prep!

Apart from that, linking free school meals percentages and the potential achievement of your child is a pointless exercise. At primary age, the best results children get is from parents that encourage their education – that has nothing to do with the school.

The reality is, while you might get bumped up a few places in the waiting list, you aren't really going to have a choice.

Personally I believe that state school places should be offered on a lottery basis, not by the whom can afford to live in the catchment areas.
NVHusband
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NVHusband » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:00 am

Such a stressful time for parents. I think for the first 3 years, parents are the main drivers for children’s development. I will say, however, Honeywell and Belleville have a very active PTA, so strong feedback loop between child, parent and school.

I suggest you try your allocated school first and if it doesn’t work after a year or two, look to move. There is always movement further up the years and you also avoid the bottleneck at reception.

Ps. Prefer thread not to be distracted by a better system than catchment area, but the lottery system is even worse. Good intentions are ruined by the realities. Having lived in US for a little bit, the lottery and bussing in kids is unpopular. You end up with ridiculous scenario where you live a couple of meters from your local school, but needing to travel miles to your allocated school. It harms local communities, makes it difficult for extra activities (due to commute time) and also against the environment (lots of unnecessary school trips). It will also force more middle class kids into private- so actually makes it less likely for different economic backgrounds to interact. Whilst catchment area system has their shortcomings, it beats the top-down social re-engineering favoured by Jeremy Corbyn and the likes.
Midnightmonkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Midnightmonkey » Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 am

We’ve got a place at Alderbrook. Both my parents were primary school teachers and told me that I should go for the closest (good) school unless there was a compelling reason to choose otherwise...
I’ve also spoken to parents outside the school, who are very happy with their choice and commented on how well the school had dealt with any issues their kids had.
The head teacher is very involved and is outside greeting the parents and kids when they arrive at school every day, which is the kind of environment I want my child in.
My other half was worried about whether we should go private as we know lots who are, but I’m sticking with my choice unless he’s not happy in school.
As people have already said, most children will do well in primary school if their parents are interested in their education.
See you in the playground!!