The Tonsleys, SW London

7 posts
WOO14
Options:
Share this post on:

The Tonsleys, SW London

Postby WOO14 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:11 am

Hi

I am hoping to move to Wandsworth, SW London and have seen a potential property in the Tonsley's area. This is a new area for me and so I wanted to post a thread on her to see if anyone lives in or used to live in the area and could advise on what the area is like. I have been there a couple of times recently, and really like the Old York Road which is currently traffic free, although I understand there are plans to open this back up to traffic soon - how busy did this road used to be before they closed it off to traffic?

I came across some previous posts on this topic on this site, but they are from a number of years ago (circa 2009 -14) and so I wanted to get a more up-to-date view. Any advice/shared experiences would be much appreciated - in terms of the area as a whole, amenities, schools etc. Many thanks!!
Fairylights
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: The Tonsleys, SW London

Postby Fairylights » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:54 pm

The Tonsleys is a brilliant place to live. There is a genuine community feel to it. Old York Road is great to have on your doorstep and I believe the plan is to keep it pedestrianised. That said, the traffic on Old York Road wasn't awful beforehand, although the same can't be said for East Hill, Swandon Way and Wandsworth Hight Street which can all get quite busy at certain times of day. We've been here for years so feel free to DM me if you have any more questions.
Daisychain
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Daisychain » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:34 am

After living 5 years in the Tonsley’s, we only have fond memories as a wonderful community, great proximity to CJ and own train. Cafes, pubs are relaxed and friendly, likewise close to Wandsworth and Battersea Power station, if you prefer a walk along the river.

We moved only only a few streets away to East Hill, as the family grew larger and we needed more space. The Houses higher up the hill tend to be a little larger, versus the smaller terraced cottages and most are well positioned for sun.

Old York Road has often been small village feel and not a lot of traffic on the streets - parking is readily available and typically used by residents only.
Expatacular
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Expatacular » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:05 am

We lived in the Tonsleys for almost 8 years and loved it. It is fantastic. A true "village" in the city. Old York Road is a brilliant little high street (even more so now that it's been pedestrianised), and the proximity to Clapham Junction and the shops on St John's Hill makes it very convenient. The only thing I would say is the state school options are somewhat limited in the immediate area. That said, there are tons of young families, so people seem to find a school that works for them. 
Toomanykids
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Toomanykids » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:37 pm

We moved into the Tonsleys in 2000, first of all living on Alma rd in a rented flat and then bought a house on Coleford when we could afford to. Could not recommend the area more. It’s quiet and friendly, loads of lovely shops / restaurants / pubs on Old York rd and nearby. One of our children went to St Faiths, the CofE primary which went really well for him.
freetmile
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby freetmile » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:11 pm

That's really great.
MrBalham99
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby MrBalham99 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:34 pm

I'm afraid the Tonsleys is a horrible area. The "high street" is strangely dark and unappealing, the houses are small, it's near a main road, the parking and one way system is tortuous. 

No shops, few cafes, and those that there are are on main roads.

Soon to have thousands more houses and flats with the Homebase/B&Q development. 

Feels like a left-over bit from a horror movie where all the weirdos live.

I could not recommend it.