Latchmere Leisure Centre Creche - help us save it

7 posts
Save_Latch_Creche
Share this post on:

Latchmere Leisure Centre Creche - help us save it

Postby Save_Latch_Creche » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:54 am

The creche at Battersea's Latchmere Leisure Centre is under threat from closure.

Join our campaign to keep it open so parents can exercise properly to maintain a healthy and balanced body and mind.

Particularly affected are full time carers to babies and pre-school age children who may not have the family support or financial means to access other affordable and convenient childcare options.

Show your support by:

* Liking and sharing our Facebook page http://on.fb.me/16QgGSb

* Signing our petition http://chn.ge/17bC6K6

*Follow us on Twitter: @SaveLatchmere
footiemum
Share this post on:

Re: Latchmere Leisure Centre Creche - help us save it

Postby footiemum » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi
This is interesting, have you seen the thread on here "creche at Balham Leisure Centre". Balham Leisure Centre is currently being refurbished and the new plans don't show any where for a creche. The repsonse from "Places for People" is along the lines of we will look at it again once the refurbishment is complete - assess requirments/user needs etc. However, the more cyncial view is that the Places for People Group are attemting to close all the creches in their centres to make way for more profitable gym/class space. I would encourage people to sign the petition and kick up a fuss with Wandsworth council.
Save_Latch_Creche
Share this post on:

Postby Save_Latch_Creche » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Yes, we've seen that and we should definitely all join forces.

You're right it does seem very suspicious that this is happening in a few centres - we've got to get as many people to sign the petition as possible.

Theres going to be a meeting at the Latchmere with the General manager, a representative from the council and I believe the area manager - all are welcome so we'll post details on that once the date is confirmed.

Please do check out the facebook group as theres some email address's on there for people to fire off a quick email to if they feel strongly.
mollys
Share this post on:

Postby mollys » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:29 pm

I used to use the latchmere crèche and it was fantastic. Not too expensive and the staff were all lovely. It will be a real shame if it closed.
coffeemonster
Share this post on:

Postby coffeemonster » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:06 pm

I would also like to urge as many people as possible to sign this petition, including partners and anyone else on which the closure could potentially have a knock-on effect.

The sad fact is that the cost of living in London is now so prohibitive that even an hour or two of child care a week can make a significant dent in someone's budget. This is where the creche comes into its own, offering an affordable and practical solution for local mothers wanting to keep fit while also keeping an eye on their finances.

And keeping fit is not just some frivolous activity - it's an attempt to keep ourselves healthy generally. Although it's hard to quantify in terms of tangible benefits, the fact is that in the long term this may actually save the NHS money, and also set a good example to our children about the importance of a healthy lifestyle.

OK I'll get off my soap box now, but surely this is something worth saving?
Save_Latch_Creche
Share this post on:

Postby Save_Latch_Creche » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:21 am

Everyone more than welcome to come to a meeting with the management at Latchmere Leisure Centre and a representative of the council to discuss the future of the creche on Tuesday 24th February at 11 am in the cafe at Latchmere. Children welcome.

We really want to try and hit the 100 signature mark on the petition (more if we can). Please please sign the petition - once these types of services are gone, that's it, they're gone for good.

Petition http://chn.ge/17bC6K6
Save_Latch_Creche
Share this post on:

Postby Save_Latch_Creche » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:06 pm

Just a reminder of the meeting at the Latchmere Leisure centre (in the cafe) Tuesday 24th February where we'll learn more about the future of the crèche and it's our chance to put our points across as to why it's so important to keep it open.

Everyone welcome - babies and toddlers too.

If you haven't already, please could you sign our petition so we can show the centre that we have community support.

Petition http://chn.ge/17bC6K6

Thankyou