Our first au pair - advice

3 posts
fionapm
Options:
Share this post on:

Our first au pair - advice

Postby fionapm » Wed May 11, 2016 11:59 am

Hi,

We both work full time and have two children, who are both currently happy in nursery. The eldest is starting school in September, so we are struggling with school drop off and pick up. We looked into a nanny, but it was too expensive, so are currently in the process of finding an au pair.

I would really appreciate advice on choosing the right good au pair (we are using an agency) and on how to make it a success. I appreciate that an au pair is very different to a nanny, and am hopefully being realistic with our expectations.

We no longer live in Nappy Valley, we moved out to Surrey a few years ago, but I found this forum so helpful for advice.

Thanks in advance!
golfwidow
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Our first au pair - advice

Postby golfwidow » Mon May 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Following as we're in a similar boat!
Life After London
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Our first au pair - advice

Postby Life After London » Thu May 19, 2016 10:07 am

I've had loads of au pairs and have great relationships with them. It's a bit of a mine field at first but can be great. A few things I'd think about are your critically important factors such as level of english or driving etc. I usually go for slightly older au pairs over 24 as have found that works best for us.

I speak lots of times on skype and whats app to try to get to know them better. Really it's about the relationship and honesty between the two of you that makes it work. Different ages of children require very different things. My children are all now at school so i need different help that I needed when we had them at home.

Happy to chat on a pm if you'd prefer - or via email bee@lifeafterlondon.com