Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

8 posts
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby windmill26 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:58 pm

I have come across this article today and I am puzzled by it... https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 68126.html

I think we should have zero tolerance on dog fouling and littering not stopping kids playing in the parks! :roll:
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 pm

I've seen an online post by Wandsworth Council saying that they have no intention of stopping kids playing as inferred by the article title. Just a general clampdown on anti-social behaviour and ignorance of by-laws and other issues like adherence to dog free areas.
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth plans fines of up to £500 for climbing trees, flying kites or playing cricket in parks

Postby windmill26 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:47 pm

juliantenniscoach wrote:I've seen an online post by Wandsworth Council saying that they have no intention of stopping kids playing as inferred by the article title. Just a general clampdown on anti-social behaviour and ignorance of by-laws and other issues like adherence to dog free areas.
I really hope that the article got it wrong as it won't be the first time that the council would go ahead with an idiotic decision! :roll:
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Alas you have a point! :lol:
petal
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby petal » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:49 pm

How about they spend some money on the playgrounds instead or offer Lambeth money to sort out the Clapham Common playgrounds. There's plenty of tax being paid in the local area and you'd think you're in a poor third world country when you see the common playground.

Also agree that dog fouling should he the offence they should concentrate on, not kids playing in trees.
If the park rules have not been touched for a century, there a reason for it.
You would think they have better things to worry about.
They could start by putting any surplus cash into schools if they are struggling for ideas.. :roll:
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm unclear why they need to update the bylaws

All the council have said is that they will use them in a common sense way?!
Sarah McDermott
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Sarah McDermott » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

I am a great believer in plenty of outdoor play for children doing all those things that challenge them and teach them how to deal with risks - climbing trees being one of them. Of course Wandsworth Council is not going to stop these wonderful childhood pursuits. As lead member for children's services I will be the first to stand up for good 'old-fashioned' childhood play. The bylaws are there to be used in extreme situations when vandalism, anti-social behaviour gets out of hand. More outdoor play, I say!

And talking of play, Wandsworth Council is planning upgrades at three playgrounds. Have your say in what sort of equipment you would like to see:

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/news/artic ... d_upgrades
Emptynestmummy.com
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Emptynestmummy.com » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Vaguely related: is there anything we can do about dog fouling? Like a body to report it to?
It sounds daft as I have lived here for years, but do we actually have any Parks Police? I haven't seen any, but perhaps I haven't looked hard enough - been too busy looking down to make sure I avoid the dog mess!