I'm part of the NappyValleyNet's tech team.
Many thanks for all of these useful comments. We are working through them one by one to see how we can improve the user experience for you all.
We have so far addressed the following issues which have been raised:
1) Local News has now got it's own thread in the Main Menu.
2) In addition to having pagination at the bottom of the page, we have added pagination to the top of the pages.
3) The opening up in a new tab/page when clicking on posts has been removed.
4) A quick reply button has been added to the posts for easier posting
5) On mobile sites, we have added a sticky header which has buttons for scrolling back to the top of the page and a quick link to quick reply / quick start a new conversation.
6) The number of replies to the posts has been added throughout the site.
Please keep the feedback coming, your thoughts are extremely important to us!