Please join the march to Parliament Sq to demand a People’s Vote & protect our children’s future - This Sat 23rd June!

2 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Please join the march to Parliament Sq to demand a People’s Vote & protect our children’s future - This Sat 23rd June!

Postby GuyD73 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Well, it certainly hasn’t been a dull couple of weeks where Brexit's concerned, and those who believe it will be a calamity, can be very encouraged at recent events.

That’s not to say there hasn’t also been some shameful behaviour among our politicians and the public, sometimes so egregious as to make one wonder what on earth we have become.

Among these gems were a tory MP who confided to a journalist that they were minded to vote against the government last week but couldn’t countenance the likely resultant death threats to his family. So our Parliamentarians are being intimidated by some of the worst, violent dregs of our society, what a truly magnificent democracy we are! (not). I understand the police also had cause to visit Anna Soubry’s office yesterday for the same reason of death threats and some particularly charming Brexit supporters can be found on twitter threatening ‘another Jo Cox’, could our public discourse get any more disgusting? Oh yes, the UN came out to say we’d become a more racist nation after the EU ref and we also had the less than edifying spectacle of Theresa May lying to the Tory rebels last week (on meaningful vote) and then upping her game and lying to everyone in sight about a ‘brexit dividend’, something which almost every single respected economist and financial institution say doesn’t exist. Great.

It’s all going in one direction isn’t it? The right wing press continue to attack the legislature in a disgraceful and hateful fashion, TM keeps trying to subvert the sovereignty of the commons and the lies keep flowing unabated. The parallels with Nazi Germany in the ‘30s are not overblown to my mind.

Anyway, the good news is, It’s not a done deal. Government will very likely lose the vote in the Commons tomorrow, so Parliament will decide what happens in the event of ‘no deal’, exactly as it should be. We are also seeing more and more MPs and unions coming out to support a Peoples Vote where the electorate get to decide, if they want ‘the deal’ on offer or if, now that the facts and issues are clearer, we should have the option to remain.

It's dispiriting isn't it, that there isn’t a great deal as citizens that we can do right now? We can write to our MP, we can amplify messages on social media, we can try and convince friends or family who voted leave that following through on their vote will make us a poorer, more xenophobic, isolated and much diminished nation but there IS something else you can do this coming Saturday and that’s march on Parliament and make your voice heard.

Please come, bring your kids and a picnic, it’ll be a joyous atmosphere of like-minded people, and a huge turnout will help it make all the news bulletins. I know many of you loathe Brexit every bit as a much as I do and are similarly concerned about what’s happening to the UK, but don’t let it get you down too much because it’s NOT a done deal. All sorts of things are still in play. Investigations are ongoing into wrong-doing by Banks/Farage/Wigmore et al, with new revelations every day, and the Electoral Commission have already found overspending. If it turns out, IF, that the EUref was narrowly won by cheating, electoral fraud, misuse of data and dark, foreign money, what does everyone think we should do then? Just let it stand? (I don’t think so, it would be completely illegitimate). If TM is deposed and there’s a snap GE, one possible outcome is a Lib/Lab coalition, good luck getting Brexit done if that’s the case!

Lots of details on here https://www.peoples-vote.uk/ - basically the Mall/Trafalgar Sq at 12ish Saturday 23rd June

More on https://www.open-britain.co.uk/

I also hope that many thousands of the EU nationals who have made their home here, contributed hugely to our society but been treated disgracefully by this government, will march with those of us Brits who cannot abide the destruction that’s happening to our country and will be seeking to ‘take back control’. :D
storm35
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Please join the march to Parliament Sq to demand a People’s Vote & protect our children’s future - This Sat 23rd Jun

Postby storm35 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks Guy, I'm going!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.