Balham High Road rent £60k per annum!

3 posts
Seb
Options:
Share this post on:

Balham High Road rent £60k per annum!

Postby Seb » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:20 am

I think this is why the High Street is in so much trouble!

£60k!!!!

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/62d53eead ... culars.pdf
curtainworkshop
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Balham High Road rent £60k per annum!

Postby curtainworkshop » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:11 am

You will also find that all High St shops are being conned with Business Rate Charges I pay £200 per week and what does that
entitle me to NOTHING. No rubbish collection NO Nothing £800 per month No Nothing £9600 per year No Nothing
and dare you go a day late off you go to South West Magistrates Court as I have been the whole thing is a con
Roger CURTAIN WORKSHOP 241 Balham High Road
EthicsOfEJ
Share this post on:

Re: Balham High Road rent £60k per annum!

Postby EthicsOfEJ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:35 am

Hello,

In the case of this specific shop, the reason it closed wasn't the price. The man who owned and run the business there died suddenly - must be about three years ago. The rent has gone up significantly since it was first vacant, but there have also been lots of renovations done inside the shop. Normally all renovations are left to the business that is run within the shop.

The rents are high, but as a Small business owner myself of Natural for Baby across the road at 78 Balham High Road:

We can pay the high rents if we have enough customers.
We can pay the high business rates - a big tax that puts money back into our local economy (and yes, us shop owners don't see a penny of it spent in a way that benefits us) if we have enough customers.
We can afford to run lots of fans to cool our shops down in this heatwave if we have enough customers.
We can get in lots of lovely new stock into our shops if we have enough customers.
We can pay all our other bills if we have enough customers.
We can pay for all the renovations in our shops (for me I've had a new floor in the shop, had electricity put into the shop floor rather than just in the basement, changed the shop from looking like an office with strip lights to having the LED panels installed, had the shop fitted, a security shutter installed, a shop sign when I was a franchisee and then another shop sign when the Franchiser went bust and I changed to being an Independent shop and much much more) if we have enough customers.
We can pay ourselves a teeny tiny salary if we have enough customers.
We can hire staff (and pay their pensions of course too) if we have enough customers.

The other week I took part in a campaign called Just a card, a campaign to let everyone know that if everyone bought just a card or just a lip balm or just something small in the shops that are in your area rather than telling us how lovely our shops are and just browsing that every single sale makes a HUGE difference to us, we are not lining a CEO's bank account, we are all working very hard, very long hours and are trying to have lovely shops here on your High Road, keeping the High Road as varied and vibrant as we can.

I am sure you don't want to see a whole load of boarded shops in a row as you do in many run-down places in the UK, so to make this change, we can't reduce our rents, we are all battling to get our business rates lowered, but the support from everyone who is local is what we all need. We know there is a heatwave, we know Wimbledon Tennis is on, we know the World Cup is on, there is nothing we can do about that - but I am really glad the flying ants has come and gone - many of us have built websites, are on social media so you can buy online or ring us between your matches and games and still support your local shops.

Come on everyone, shop locally and help your High Road be the nicest High Road around with lots of thriving Independent shops!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.