Beware door step sales/ hawker

4 posts
TreacleBell
Options:
Share this post on:

Beware door step sales/ hawker

Postby TreacleBell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Just to let you all be aware. I had a hawker knock on my door selling cleaning kit. I was wary and bought nothing. I contacted the local police and this is their answer .....”Hi, as a rule, we're sceptical of these door-to-door salesmen. It's a well-known ruse that burglars use to case properties to gauge whether the houses are good targets for theft and if the residents are gullible enough to let conmen in. I'm not saying that this chap is a burglar but we recommend that residents be wary around them”

He was polite enough but seemed more interested in checking over my shoulder into the house than talking to me. Please take precautions every one. X
Attachments
A0D67E26-DD97-47C3-BEDF-D25E93FE783D.jpeg
TreacleBell
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Beware door step sales/ hawker

Postby TreacleBell » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Forgot to mention this was Broomwood Road on the 26th September
mum_1980
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mum_1980 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks TrecleBell. We get ex convicts selling cleaning products on my road. They are never aggressive and don't seem perturbed if I say I don't want anything or have no cash. Sometimes I buy stuff and sometimes I don't.

But you are right to flag this as we always get people at our door even though I have a sticker that says "no cold callers". A few years ago there was a chap claiming to be called Alan from a fishmongers in Northshields selling fish. He dressed the part and had a van full of fish (he said it was fresh, but it wasn't). He came to my house and barged his way through, always being polite and plonked his fish on my kitchen table. He went to his van to get some more fish and I quickly googled him. Thank heavens for Nappy Valley Net, I found a thread of people complaining about this guy and his dodgy fish. So I politely explained that I don't eat that much fish and wasn't interested, so he left. I then called the real Alan from Northshields and he said that he wasn't in London that day and that he was aware that someone was impersonating him. I also called the council and they said they were aware of this guy and had an investigation out on him. They said if I should see him again, I should take down his number plate. I haven't heard anything more on him so I am hoping that he was caught. However, I was really annoyed with myself for letting him barge through. I felt uncomfortable about it but thought maybe I was being a cynical Londoner - nope I wasn't. If people are genuine they won't try to come into your home, no matter how charming or polite they are. Luckily, this guy wasn't a robber, he was a con mane who made people part with a lot of cash for a whole load of cheap frozen fish he passed off as fresh. I didn't part with any cash and thankfully I didn't get ill from his fish, but he could have easily been someone scoping the house...
AFIELD00
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby AFIELD00 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:19 pm

The door to door fish salesmen where here in Southfields today. One charming white haired guy with a small moustache claimed to be "Alan" and another larger chap who came into our house. They had a white unmarked van and no logos on their coats. They claimed to be T&D Fisheries from the NE. They sold us dodgy fish. 

I have photos of them and their van (reg number GF60 NTA).

This also pertains to the other link on NVN:
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=17642&p=107894&hil ... an#p107894

Hopefully they aren't coming back to burgle our house!

This is not @NorthFish1510.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.