Post natal loneliness.

2 posts
SingingMamas
Options:
Share this post on:

Post natal loneliness.

Postby SingingMamas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:16 am

When I had my first child I wasn’t prepared for the relentless nature of parenting or for the amount of time I would spend alone with my new baby. I was never really into playgroups, especially when they were little and not particularly interacting with other children, but I longed for somewhere I could go which wasn’t all talk of nappies and milestones! Having met and trained with Kate Valentine (founder of Singing Mamas) I decided to set up the South London branch of Singing Mamas -the group that I had searched for and not found- an adult centred, child friendly space which is fun and informal, where women of all ages can gently learn something new, challenge themselves and connect with others without the need for smalltalk! Before starting Kindergarten this term my little boy came along to all three of my South London Singing Mamas groups: Clapham, Streatham and Herne Hill. He now knows all of the parts for all of the songs and sings his way through life- it has brought so much music and joy into our home! I highly recommend it! 

"In my first few months of motherhood, making friends and even making conversation were a daunting prospect, but popping along to singing mamas and belting out some songs without any need for preparation or even much of a voice was an utter pleasure... not much beats the gentle companionship of fellow mums raising our voices to sing in friendship…" (Jen, Clapham Singing Mama) 

You don’t have to be a great singer, it is about joining our voices to sound and feel better than any of us could on our own. Babies and children are welcome if you have them, they play happily in the space, but this is time to give a little something back to the mamas, a little weekly me-time (the children love it too, but their best gifts are to be bathed in sound and see a happy, relaxed mum). 
All ages are welcome with no experience necessary, all songs are taught by ear, layering up simple harmonies to create the magic.
The positive effects of singing in community for both mental and physical health have been well researched and documented so I also offer bursary places for survivors of Domestic violence, sufferers of PND or anyone struggling who would otherwise be unable to come. Get in touch with them if this is you, or you can buy ‘a coffee’ to support other women in need to come along. Check out the fundraising page at ko-fi.com/singingmamasbursary

"Everybody talks about childbirth - so few people talk about how lonely it is being the mother to a young baby. They say it takes a village to raise a child... finding a village is really tough when all your family live in a different city or country. After a few short weeks with Singing Mamas I feel like I have a village!" (Steph, Streatham Singing Mama) 

Find us on www.facebook.com/southlondonsingingmamas/ or contact southlondonsingingmamas@gmail.com
Career Coach Mummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Post natal loneliness.

Postby Career Coach Mummy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm

what a lovely idea, good luck with this venture, it is a service that a lot of people will see as a lifeline. All the very best.

Orla

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.