Applying to pre-school/nursery

5 posts
HamptonMum1
Options:
Share this post on:

Applying to pre-school/nursery

Postby HamptonMum1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this site but I'd be very grateful if I could have some advice.

My son is 16 months old and people have started asking if I've put his name down for a school yet and then seemed worried when I said no. I don't have any friends with older children so I'm a bit clueless about the whole application system.

I would like him to go to nursery in a primary or infant school from the age of 3. I have spoken to the infant school nearest to me and they said I couldn't apply until he was 2, and then I would need to re-apply for reception as getting into nursery wouldn't guarantee a place. They said it wasn't first come first serve so applying early didn't matter.

I find the whole thing quite daunting and have looked online but would love to here personal advice and opinions from some of you.

Thank you in advance.
HighchairHostess
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Applying to pre-school/nursery

Postby HighchairHostess » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm afraid the waiting lists kick off from birth so i suggest you get on it!!

My little girl goes to The Pavilion Montessori School in Teddington... they take children from 2.5years, up until they go to school. I know they have a pretty tight waiting list as it's super popular and also excellent. Your little one is still pretty young, so if you are after a preschool, I would highly recommend you drop them an email and get your little one on the waiting list - the website is www.pavilionmontessori.co.uk

I also looked into primary school nurseries, but I was put off by the fact they have to be 3... and also that it's not possible to guarantee a place. The last position you want to be in is to have no pre school option, so if i were you i would put them down on 1 or 2 waiting lists at least then you won't end up with nothing. In Teddington, Children's House and Playwam are also great preschools i hear from friends.

Good luck!
Errogie
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Errogie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 pm

I agree with Highchair hostess. We have been thrilled with the Pavillion the children love it and the staff are great. The atmosphere is lovely and it is a great introduction to school. It isn't many hours a week but it is 5 days. Friends with children at playwam only have a couple of mornings a week. Def a good idea to keep your options open.
HamptonMum1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby HamptonMum1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Thank you both very much. It's all very daunting, I will get on the case straight away. Can I just ask, when should I apply for reception then? Is that when he is 2? Thanks again.
HighchairHostess
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby HighchairHostess » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:38 am

Reception at primary school?? I think i am right in saying, if you are going through the state system then you can only apply the year before they are due to start. And even if they are in the school's nursery, you still have to apply... its not a given they will go into reception.
If it's the private system - you can get their name down as and when you like (if they have space), but you will have to pay a deposit.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.