Under carpet heating

4 posts
RosieT
Options:
Share this post on:

Under carpet heating

Postby RosieT » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Almost persuaded by my builder to have under carpet heating and get rid of my radiators. Does anyone out there have it and are they happy with it? Plus, have your electricity bills skyrocketed?
Thanks!
Firefly
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Under carpet heating

Postby Firefly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Do you know what effect this would have on the colour and texture of your carpet? I am interested as I have never heard of this. I wonder whether any smells from older carpets would emanate from heating the carpet?
stay@homedad
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby stay@homedad » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi Rosie,
I'm intruiged by the concept of under carpet heating. Having recently undergone a side return I debated long and hard with our builders on the floor finish. We wanted underfloor heating but were advised that the timber flooring we were proposing having in the kitchen is a bad conductor of heat and as such much of the heat from the UFH would be lost. In the end we went for a timber look tile (limed oak) which is fabulous and allowed us to have UFH. The tiles heat up nice and toasty and provide good ambient heat into the room.

Given that carpet / underlay are even worse conductors of heat than wood I'm really surprised that a builder is proposing UFH under a carpet....unless there is a new system I've not heard of.

Re electricty bills there are 2 systems - a wet system which utilises hot water from your boiler and electric mats laid under the tiles / wood. The wet system is far more economical to run than the later but is more expensive to install.

Last point on UFH is that you must make sure your builder insulates under whichever system you use. This ensures that the heat produced doesn't heat the concrete / void under your floor but is reflected up to heat whatever floor covering you have......

Good luck anyway and keep us posted.

:D
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi there,

We had it in our house and it worked just fine.
The under floor heating ran throughout the house (a bungalow....no, sorry! Single story mews property!!). The majority of the place was polished concrete but we had carpet in the bedrooms. You just need to ensure that the underlay and carpet only add up to a certain thickness/tog and it works best to have separate thermostats in each of the rooms.
We loved it.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.