Loft Conversion Advice (Cube Lofts and others)

9 posts
ergo
Options:
Share this post on:

Loft Conversion Advice (Cube Lofts and others)

Postby ergo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi, we are currently looking to do a loft conversion and have been in touch with a number of companies and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of using Cube Lofts (or others) or had any recommendations?

It all seems a bit of a mine-field :? so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Architecture_Geek
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Loft Conversion Advice (Cube Lofts and others)

Postby Architecture_Geek » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am

Hi

Landmark Lofts did my friend's a few months ago and they're really pleased - www.landmark-lofts.com. I think they have the best reputation in London actually.

Hope this helps!

Emi
SofieW (Admin)
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SofieW (Admin) » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Hi ergo - thought you might be interested in this recent thread on loft conversion companies... hope it helps clear up the minefield ;)

http://www.nappyvalleynet.com/richmond/ ... oft#p67072
Carly Lewis
Share this post on:

Postby Carly Lewis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:22 pm

I am slightly biased as this company is my brother-in-laws but they have a fantastic reputation :D

http://www.lewisbuild.co.uk/LewisBuild_ ... rsions.htm
Carly Lewis
Doula Fairy

www.doulafairy.co.uk
Ewelin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ewelin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:40 am

Hello

My husband has a building company and they do lofts nad extensions. Many others things.
Try them if you wand as they have good prices and good opinion.
Located in Twickenham.

Happy mummy sw14
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Happy mummy sw14 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:00 am

Architecture_Geek wrote:Hi

Landmark Lofts did my friend's a few months ago and they're really pleased - http://www.landmark-lofts.com. I think they have the best reputation in London actually.

Hope this helps!

Emi
Hi

I am amazed that I have just read you complaining about someone mentioning their friends terrible experience with landmark lofts and slating people for writing about their friends experience and here I read you doing exactly that. (http://www.nappyvalleynet.com/mums/view ... 17#p108517) You seem to be suggesting everyone who writes a bad review of a company is a troll or fake and yet you seem to be quoting everywhere how good your friend's experience was freely. You also said you were surprised I had not responded and would like to know all the details of my bad experience. Firstly I am extremely busy. Secondly I have had several conversations with Annabel to confirm that I am real. Thirdly she is concerned about legal action from landmark as they are very active in dissuading people from writing anything bad. I am all for both sides of the story. I also know they have some genuinely happy customers as in met one before my project started, but I will not be bullied by you or them to not voice a bad experience of a company. I'd also like to point out I was not unhappy with the builder, his team, his work or even the fact that the promised 6 week conversion time took over 6 months. I was unhappy with the utter lack of care or consideration from landmark lofts for both me the customer and the subcontractor in each and every respect from contract signing to execution to after care.

So when I have more time, I will gladly tell you and the rest of this forum my story and it will no doubt remain only until landmark lofts see it and ask for it to be removed.

Thanks
Happy mummy sw14
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Happy mummy sw14 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 am

Architecture_Geek wrote:Hi

Landmark Lofts did my friend's a few months ago and they're really pleased - http://www.landmark-lofts.com. I think they have the best reputation in London actually.

Hope this helps!

Emi
Hi

I am amazed that I have just read you complaining about someone mentioning their friends terrible experience with landmark lofts and slating people for writing about their friends experience and here I read you doing exactly that. (http://www.nappyvalleynet.com/mums/view ... 17#p108517) You seem to be suggesting everyone who writes a bad review of a company is a troll or fake and yet you seem to be quoting everywhere how good your friend's experience was freely. You also said you were surprised I had not responded and would like to know all the details of my bad experience. Firstly I am extremely busy. Secondly I have had several conversations with Annabel to confirm that I am real. Thirdly she is concerned about legal action from landmark as they are very active in dissuading people from writing anything bad. I am all for both sides of the story. I also know they have some genuinely happy customers as in met one before my project started, but I will not be bullied by you or them to not voice a bad experience of a company. I'd also like to point out I was not unhappy with the builder, his team, his work or even the fact that the promised 6 week conversion time took over 6 months. I was unhappy with the utter lack of care or consideration from landmark lofts for both me the customer and the subcontractor in each and every respect from contract signing to execution to after care.

So when I have more time, I will gladly tell you and the rest of this forum my story and it will no doubt remain only until landmark lofts see it and ask for it to be removed.

Thanks
Architecture_Geek
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Architecture_Geek » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26 am

Which turned into us going ahead with works ourselves Happy mummy sw14 :D
belld
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby belld » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:00 pm

don't buy a car without checking under the bonnet.
i am amazed why people decide to go ahead with a loft without wishing to get a specification together.
1. use an architect to design and specify your loft.
2. get your architect to explain key design items, such as internal heights, thermal performance, best use of space, water pressure/heating/electrical points, lighting design, Planning and/or Permitted Development routes.
3. get a detailed set of drawings and a scope/schedule of works.
4. have you resolved Party Walls/Structural engineer etc?
ONLY NOW SHOULD YOU BE THINKING ABOUT BUILDERS.
4. choose 4 or 5 loft companies/general builders from good recommendations preferably.
5. issue drawings and scope to acquire like for like costs, and time. allow 2 weeks but be firm and ask for prices back in on same day. If any are late, mark them down a few points.
6. if the loft companies return a price (some wont when an architect is involved) then go see some completed examples, ask around, do some due diligence, check for any CCJ's/bad press/check credit rating etc (you would check a car reg/credit rating if about to part with a substantial amount of dosh wouldn't you?)
7. Agree start and end date, with a mutually agreeable contract (JCT or similar, not the builders ideally). This may rule our further loft companies.
8. Don't pay a deposit, and get a contract paying in arrears, monthly. A well organised and traditional building company with good credit rating should have no issue with this - you are the client and about to part with £45k +!

Use an Architect - be in control - know what you are paying good money for, and best control cost, quality and time.