Do you pay your nanny Christmas bonus? If so how much?

14 posts
Yummymummy316
Options:
Share this post on:

Do you pay your nanny Christmas bonus? If so how much?

Postby Yummymummy316 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Dear NV' Mums

I was wondering if you could tell me whether it is the "norm" to give your nanny a Christmas bonus and if so how much, in addition is this onto of or instead if a pressie?

A friend recently mentioned it to me that it is expected by most nannies and indeed a good gesture but I would like to check with others opinions too.

We really value our nanny, she is great so want her to be happy!

Thanks in advance!
ten_green_bottles
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Do you pay your nanny Christmas bonus? If so how much?

Postby ten_green_bottles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:55 am

Hi

As a nanny myself, I was very surprised and delighted when I recieved a whole months wage as a Christmas bonus. It definately made me feel appreciated and work extra hard as well as meaning I never dreamt of leaving (not that I would have anyway as I loved the family so much).

However, I think that this may be an extreme case and I would never have expected that employer to give such a bonus and wouldn't expect my current employer to do so now I am in a new position.
SusieL
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SusieL » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 am

Wow! A month. Can't afford that. I was thinking £60-80ish (she's with us 2 days a week). Plus a little personal present.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:35 am

Our nanny started last september. She comes 2 days per week, sometimes 3. She is great and we love her very much.
We will be giving her some john lewis vouchers, a little present and the children will be making a card each for her.
On top of that she has xmas week off and paid.
No need to go over the top in my opinion. If you love and value her, something that comes from the heart is always very well received.
NorthcoteNanny
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NorthcoteNanny » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:59 pm

I have always been given (by various families) a weeks wages as a Christmas bonus bu would never EXPECT to receive this! Some nanny friends have been given as much as £1000 as a Christmas bonus. I guess it depends on circumstances of family etc....

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm

We're giving ours a weeks money because we think she is great. I think it would be vouchers if only ok but that's just my opinion.
SusieL
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby SusieL » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I think my nanny is great but a weeks wages is quite a lot! I guess the Christmas bonus thing is quite foreign to me as I have never had one from my employer. Golly- will have to look at finances!
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Well of course it's all got to be relative and within what anyone can afford. God forbid it gets into the oneupmanship that presents for school teachers has become!

I think our position is that the previous nanny we had, really didn't work. No slight intended but it wasn't a great situation so when our current nanny came on board, we were very relieved how good she was.
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I think (and a few people i know agree) that John Lewis is like giving money without giving cash if you see what i mean. They can buy food, clothes, or anything. I gave about a 3/4 of a week wages in vouchers.
I value my nanny to the highest, she is a dearest member of our family but i show her that in our everyday life... Little pressies here and there, giving her sn afternoon off like yesterday, drawings or biscuits the children made especially for her at the w-e, drove her to the hospital at 11pm to see her partner who had an accident, etc. For us it is not just at Christmas.

I think you shouldnt worry, whatever you do, do it genuinely not because you have to (even if cash is always nice, it is nicer when it comes from the heart).

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:57 pm

Good point well made.
Medway
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Medway » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:52 pm

I would always give cash as a bonus, vouchers are so half-arsed. If you are going to give a bonus, let her decide how to spend it. Believe it or not, John Lewis isn't everyones cup of tea!
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm

"Half-arsed" :?:
Because there are more thoughts into giving cash?
Also dont forget it is not mandatory to give anything for Christmas as much as gifts, so the person who receives something is usually grateful.
Medway
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Medway » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I just find some of these comments so smug and reminiscnet of Downton Abbey... I can't help myself. Either give a bonus if you can afford it and your nanny deserves it, or don't - but don't expect gratitude in return...s/he is an employee who will hope its earned

supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh my... :shock:

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.