fara charity shop a rip off!

140 posts
sezwedz
Options:
Share this post on:

fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby sezwedz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm

Is it just me or has the Fara charity shop prices increased tenfold. I went in the other day and they were trying to sell a pair of pram shoes from Jojo's for £9 used and you can get them for £10 new, a boden pointelle top for £8 used and you can get them new for that price, h & m jeans for £5......i could go on forever. I have approached them to mentioned there pricing is way out but they don't seem interested. I understand that it is a great cause for orphanages in Romania but I have now stopped taking my children's clothing and toys there, I would prefer to give them to other local charity shops that are more deserving.
btcmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: fara charity shop a rip off!

Postby btcmum » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:12 pm

Unfortunately I am inclined to agree..... I used to take my son there on occasion to choose a little 'treat' (i.e. a matchbox car or plastic dinosaur for 50p). The last time we went in he was set on a small squeaky dolphin, which had lost it's squeak and had been attacked by what I can only guess were a pair of kitchen scissors. Children, go figure?!? Anyway, I wasn't too fussed as I thought it would only be a few pence so was pretty shocked when the lady at the till asked for £2.50, a price she seemed to pluck from the air. Now, I know it is still a ridiculous amount and I didn't mind paying as it goes to such a good cause but Fara are very lucky to get some wonderful donations and it's a shame they are taking advantage of the area but vastly increasing their prices. I have now stopped popping in as it actually ends up cheaper for us to pay a visit to QT Toys. Shame!!
kewty
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby kewty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I agree. 3 years ago i used to get all my daughters clothes from there, as it was such good value for money with the most expensive item being about £6. I even found some lovely Rachel Riley dungarees for £3. Shortly afterwards, new management came in and increased the prices so much, it was cheaper for me to go to H&M etc, I have not been back since. Their loss!

Kx
Camille
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Camille » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Interesting...

Never assume charity shops are cheap. They operate for an obvious reason. Might be better to see them as a way of upping your charity donations than a way of saving money. Either way be it morally or financially you are a winner :)
Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Honeymummy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm

I know it's a good cause etc and I love rummaging in Farah's, not buying very often for same reasons as above, I mean it's not absolutely the fact that the prices have gone up but I guess that customers like consistency, it's a psychological thing and it is unfortunate for them and customers. THe other day in the adult store I saw a big pile of old issues of Vogue (mag), for sale, which I found rather strange.

windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I agree with you.I called their Head Office last year to complain about the silly prices but I don't think they care! I was in Chelsea last week and I had a look in a few charity shops ,the prices were way cheaper than Farah (Earlsfield and Southfield) and the items were in better condition too!
I stopped giving them stuff,I sell it myself,give it to friends or put it on freecycle.
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:48 pm

Are you guys really complaining about the cost of a charity shop?
A shop designed to raise money for charitable purposes?

Really?

We continue to donate clothes and buy from fara, and have no intention of stopping.
btcmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby btcmum » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:21 pm

Yes Scottov, we are.

I feel I should mention that we continue to donate to Fara as, obviously, I have nothing against giving to a charitable cause... I just won't be popping in quite so often with the children and their pocket money!
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:31 pm

btcmum wrote:Yes Scottov, we are.
Gosh.

Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Honeymummy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Well, they have at least one faithful customer. As for me I think their outlets lost character, which is a pity (the window displays of the adult store for example, just over a year ago it was really quite creative and amazing).
I am pretty sure they are loosing customers, which is a shame, especially for a charity.
balhamite
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby balhamite » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm

Whilst I would agree that the pricing in Fara does appear high relative to other charity shops, surely the whole purpose of a charity shop is to convert donations received into the maximum possible revenue for the activities of the charity. So if they are able to sell products at those prices then good for them. No-one is forced to shop there, no-one is forced to donate to them. If the prices prove too high they will likely have to reduce them in order to turnover their stock.

Good charities should be run like good businesses, and this is one that seems to be run as such. Contrary to what people might think, they are not there to offer cheap clothes to the community. They are there to raise money and I for one am pleased to donate to them as I feel that they are able to maximise the return on that donation better than many others. They also seem to be pretty smart at managing the Gift Aid side of things too, which is not always the case.
nanny1985
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby nanny1985 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:24 pm

I am writing because 1) I am from Romania, and I am glad they've chosen to help orphan children in my country and 2) I used to buy a lot from them (dresses to handbags etc) and then I stopped...the prices sky rocketed! Many times I would see on eBay a similar dress in a nearly new conditon or even new with tags on at a price that is 2 or 3 times lower. Their intentions are much appreciated, but ripping people off is not the way forward.
Honeymummy
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Honeymummy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 pm

My mum volonteers in a charity shop in France and they have a system according to which the items are priced considering the shoppers' income- But in Farah there is one price for everyone.
If as Balhamite says the charity shops aren't there to offer 'cheap' (remember that £4 a jumper is still expensive to some) second hand clothes to the community, then where do those on low income go? I thought that the charity worked both ways.

juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm

nanny1985 - 100%
windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Yes Scottov, we are!
I feel that pricing a 2nd-hand H&M/Gap t-shirt the same price or sometimes more than what they cost new is a rip off!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.