What to cook over the Christmas period, suggestions please

6 posts
Tilly&Roo
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: What to cook over the Christmas period, suggestions plea

Postby Tilly&Roo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:06 am

We are in the same boat - I feel your pain! I haven't finished my list yet so open to suggestions from others too. I would suggest buying a slow cooker (under £20) if you don't have one. They make it so easy to just shove ingredients in and then relax so you don't feel like a slave to the kitchen all week!

so far my cheap & easy ones are:
Chill con carne
Pasta with bacon/mushroom/leek/cream sauce
Chicken stew (BBC good food have an African one that looks nice) easy to do in slow cooker if you have one
Butternut squash /coconut soup served with bread
Mexican feast - slow cook a pork shoulder to make canitas and serve with rice&beans, red peppers, guacamole, sour cream, salsa & tortillas/taco shells.

Box of chocolates for dessert?
Good luck!
supergirl
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby supergirl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:59 am

I feel the same as you, uninspired but fortunately this year it is not my burden ;)
Depending on the age of children i would either ask them to choose what they wanted to eat for each and plan them (i usually ask my children to do that during the holidays with one condition they have to put at least one veg' and it s been quite surprising: they add more veg than i thought) or have them to eat the same as you.

For grown ups i would probably do:
Homemade lasagna (just made one for last night dinner party and it went down very well with a fantastic madiran!).
Raclette with all the trimmings
Lamb stew
Fish en papillotte (it s like opening a present on your plate)
Risotto with truffle or mushrooms (i d make a trip to borough market for that)
Seafood meal: smoked salmon, clams, oysters (if you like them), etc

I would add salads, greens, veg etc as starters, fruits for dessert one day with cream, ice creams/sorbets another, pavlova, chocolate fondants (the Gu ones are delicious), etc.

And lots to drink :lol:

Good luck and have fun.
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:15 am

millymoo
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby millymoo » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:51 pm

Well done Petal - that was me last year! Personally I am a big Nigella fan her recipes always work and most of them are super easy like Italian chicken tray bake which is really tasty, 12 hour pork, slow roasted lamb etc. I also cheated for a few meals and got some things from Cook which were very good (salmon en croute and beef stroganoff). Good luck and hope you have a lovely time!