Nurseries cancellation fees

2 posts
Polster21
Options:
Share this post on:

Nurseries cancellation fees

Postby Polster21 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:41 am

Last year we decided on a nursery school for our little one and paid a £50 registration fee and £1500 to secure the place for this autumn.

Our circumstances have changed and I've just informed the nursery that we won't be taking up the place in September. They've now said that it's unlikely that they will fill the place so according to contract, I am liable for the first terms fees.

First, it's a popular nursery so I find it hard to believe they can't fill the place. But, it does indeed state our liability in the contract so no doubt there. However, is this reasonable or enforceable I wonder, especially in the light of the £1500 we've already paid.

Any advice very welcome. First terms fees is quite a lot of money!

Thanks
Lulubear
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Nurseries cancellation fees

Postby Lulubear » Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 am

My best suggestion to you would be to offer the place out since you say it is a popular nursery. When you have found someone who wants it approach the nursery together. Perhaps provide an incentive for the interested party to work with you to arrange the swap rather than go straight to the nursery - e.g. offer them a cut of the deposit refund. If the nursery claim they can't fill the place from the waiting list then you have provided them with someone who will take your place and hence they have suffered no loss.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.