Woman who escaped kidnappers in Clapham Common after a night out launches a ‘get home safe’ app

2 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Woman who escaped kidnappers in Clapham Common after a night out launches a ‘get home safe’ app

Postby Community Editor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

A tech worker who became afraid to go out after a gang tried to kidnap her in South London has launched a safety app to help other young women.

Sarah Murphy, 28, was walking a 10-minute route home alone down Clapham Common South Side after a night out at club Infernos when four men pulled up and attempted to drag her into their car.

The tech firm recruiter, who has since moved out of London, created Chaperhome, which uses geolocation and warns loved ones if the user does not reach a designated “home” point by a pre-set time.

For “scary” walks home, the app lets users tap every 10 seconds to confirm they are safe and can issue an alert after a set period.

The attack on Ms Murphy happened at around 4am on Sunday of the August bank holiday weekend in 2015. She escaped but was left lying injured in the road and suffered nerve damage in her leg as she fended off the gang.

She told the Standard: “They bundled me into the car and I didn’t really know what was happening. I looked up and I was in the middle seat of the car but the guy who had pushed me in hadn’t got into the car yet. 

“He kept trying to push me in and I kept kicking and screaming, fighting fire with fire really, until a bus arrived. It’s on that enormous road in Clapham, so the bus started to come up behind the car and they drove off.”

After the attack she began to skip after-work drinks and club nights with friends. “I completely changed my life. I took a step back from the lifestyle I was leading in London. It was just my kneejerk reaction… I think I was just afraid and not living the life I thought I should have been leading for my age.

“I went out a couple of times but I stopped going to work drinks and those types of things. Now I will go to big events but leave a lot earlier than other people and won’t have many drinks or anything. I’ll never be the person who will go to the club now.”

Following the attack, Ms Murphy called the police, who took her clothes as forensic evidence, but there was no CCTV available and her attackers have not been caught.

Source: https://www.standard.co.uk/tech/woman-w ... 91546.html
Attachments
sarah-murphy4356.jpg
Flambeau
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Woman who escaped kidnappers in Clapham Common after a night out launches a ‘get home safe’ app

Postby Flambeau » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 pm

I think that it is a fantastic idea and well done her.

The reason for the creation of the app …… horrendous! but what she did as a result of the experience. Amazing! 

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.