Violent daylight robber jailed for eight years

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Violent daylight robber jailed for eight years

Postby Community Editor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 am

A man who violently robbed two people in separate daylight attacks in Clapham last summer has been jailed for eight years.

Christopher Shingler, 29, of Gauden Road, was tried at Inner London Crown Court and found guilty of robbery.

He was jailed for that offence and for a second robbery committed two days later, to which he later pleaded guilty.

In the first attack at around 5pm on 8 July 2018, the victim had been shopping at a supermarket on Wandsworth Road and was making his way home.

At the junction with Hemans Street he noticed two men sitting at a bus stop.

He continued along Wandsworth Road, and he was suddenly grabbed from behind and strangled by one of them.

As the victim – a man aged in his 40s - attempted to defend himself, he was bitten on his leg and had his watch ripped off his wrist.

The watch, bought for £6,800, was taken and the pair of attackers fled.

The second attack took place in Abbeville Road, SW4 on 10 July.

The victim – a woman aged in her 40s - had been at the park with her two young children and another child.

At around 5pm, she was grabbed from behind by two men who wrestled to steal watch.

The victim sustained bruises and scratches to her wrist and arm from the violent struggle, and the men fled with the Rolex watch, worth £11,250.

Shingler was identified from DNA retrieved from the victims’ wrists and the bite mark on the man.

Detective Constable Claire Brouner from the South Central Borough Operational Command Unit said: “The robberies Shingler perpetrated were violent and brazen, taking place in broad daylight.

“The victims have lost precious items since neither watch has been recovered. Moreover, they were subject to vicious attacks which left them with visible injuries and had an enormous impact on their daily lives.”

The victim of the second attack was with her children when it happened. She said: “I was attacked in broad daylight whilst walking home from the park with my young children. This attack left me and my children frightened to go out and about or to get on with our daily routine.

“I’m grateful to the Met Police for their hard work on this case to get someone held accountable for their actions that day.”

Enquiries are ongoing in respect of the second suspect.

A 30-year-old man was arrested in December 2018, who has been released under investigation.

Photo: Christopher Shingler (Wandsworth Times)

Attachments
209174718.jpg.gallery.jpg
209174718.jpg.gallery.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.