Sign-up for Clapham Common Bowling Green League 2020

9 posts
LineBall Tennis/Siva
Share this post on:

Sign-up for Clapham Common Bowling Green League 2020

Postby LineBall Tennis/Siva » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm

As some in the neighbourhood will know, the Clapham Common Bowling Green is due for closure. A fifty-years plus heritage of surbaban-charachter of Common Westside no less.

As a Committee member of Clapham Common Management Advisory Committee - CCMAC, I undertook to pushback against alternative commercial development of the two green-bowling pitches (under the bull of austerity!).

A SINGLE re-development proposal has been submitted to turn the landmark characteristic pavillion clubhouse into NEW cafe with alchol-license and the bowling-greens into mini-golf or crazy golf putting!

As pushback campaign I have to submit palns / interest to maintain and use ONE of the bowling-greens. Instead of mounting full-on campaign which would be arduous as I already work on the adjoing tennis courts as the local tennis coach, I am seeking interest of support for the re-instatemnent of a SINGLE bowling-green. Not oblivious of golf-putting enthusiasts or commerce, I suggest side-carting with the current proposal.

In this valuable local social-network thread of NappyValley please put your name and email adress to indicate signing-up for the Clapham Common Bowling Green League 2020, or indeed that you will support its existence and use - all ages sexes welcome.

I personally assure YOU that this game is competitive and skilful, I played when I was younger age 8+ and wish to do so again as I am older, given good bowling green where the bowl actually turns in paraboa curves.

What are you waiting for? Or please email YOUR support personally: ksiva@talktalk.net

Krishna
SW12
Clare Lupton
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Sign-up for Clapham Common Bowling Green League 2020

Postby Clare Lupton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:25 pm

We go and use it for Crown Green bowling at the moment - despite it's ragged surface it's a blast - more people should do this, it's GREAT fun & perfect core strengthening low impact exercise.  Good for pre-skiing strength too...
LineBall Tennis/Siva
Share this post on:

Postby LineBall Tennis/Siva » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 am

Hello Neighbourhood,

I am slightly concerned that the said bowling green will change its designation of use and simply disappear!

We have a duty to preserve its use for future generations, for the elder ages and young (viz. Extinction Rebellion); despite the Council having failed to maintain bowling-green condition and let the greens get into the problem cycle of disuse-reinvestment-dilema.

The petition for potential Bowling Green League 2020 and simply supporting it continued exixtence has garnered ONLY a handful of emails to me. This CAN ONLY simply mean people don't care about  legacy of 50 years or so, that made this part of Clapham Common an idylic serene spot on border of Wandsworth and Lambeth where they came to live; or that people don't know of its proposed plight as alchol-licensed cafe and "tacky" putting-green.

I hope its the latter reason, hence I am re-posting, and will do so again. As well as stepping-up activism to save our bowling-green (just one of the twogreens from re-designation as artifical putting-green). Email me support on: ksiva@talktalk.net

Krishna Siva
Local resident of 40+ years
and tennis coach at mentioned venue
this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:08 am

Why is a putting green tacky?

The one in Battersea park is wonderful. Used by old and young, in keeping with the surroundings and busy all year round, with a wonderful daytime cafe

Bowling greens are closing because they aren’t of interest to people any more.
They shouldn’t be preserved as museum pieces for NIMBYs who can’t comprehend change.

If there is a viable - financially and footfall - plan for the space, I’m all ears

Fake leagues solely to oppose a planning application is so dishonest and small-minded.
LineBall Tennis/Siva
Share this post on:

Postby LineBall Tennis/Siva » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:11 pm

As initiator of this thread on saving Clapham common Bowling Greens, I have an update from Lambeth Council directorate, where alternative proposals are timed-out and they will go ahead with the single existing proposal for crazy-golf (dubbed "Putt In The Park") with alchol-licensed pavillion cafe / restaurant:
Hi Krishna
Yes, I’m afraid the council is already in the process of leasing the bowling greens and pavilion to Putt in the Park. There are already eight tennis courts on that section of the common which we see as adequate provision and want to diversify the facilities on offer to local residents.
Kind regards Kevin Crook
If you woul still like to complain or voice your feelings I have started a petition of Lambeth website - click on link or cop-paste to your browser:
https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgEPet ... D=38739085

Also, I have asked when the formal consultation will begin, but alas this may not happen due to changes in procedure at Lambeth Council. Apologies for not furthering a wish to save the bowling green.

Regards
Krishna
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
Liza Goodman
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Liza Goodman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Hello,

As a neighbour who lives just in front of the tennis courts my concern is primarily a cafe with an alcohol license. I love the fact that the evenings are peaceful and I look onto the greens. I am in no hurry for any of that to change. I’ve used the bowling greens many times, for bowling with friends and family during the warmer months but also a place to kick a ball with with my youngest boy. It would be great to keep the 1 green and use the other as a place as a putting green for under 16’s or an area for day time camps for kids.
That said I love the new open cafe that serves terrific coffee. I only wish they could have full use of the indoor premises so I can sit in the shelter of the rain to enjoy it.
LineBall Tennis/Siva
Share this post on:

Postby LineBall Tennis/Siva » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:15 am

I saw your post Liza. Hope you saw my recent post on another thread about Bowling Green proposal, including re-purposing the pavilion into restaurant / cafe:

Please do raise ALL your concerns to planning / licensing committee of Wandsworth Borough Council, as they ultimately have planning / licensing decisions, of the Lambeth Council managed bowling-green site / tennis / cafe site.

Please make commets via browser-searching:Application detailsApplication: 2020/2536Address: Pavilion Clapham Common Westside SW4 9AN Proposal: Alterations to openings and change of use from Class F2(d) (Pavilion) to Use Class E (cafe).
Cheers
Krishna
LineBall Tennis/Siva
Share this post on:

Postby LineBall Tennis/Siva » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:50 pm

By way of an update:

Yesterday 26th Nov.20 #Wandsworth Council Planning rejected permission to re-designate the old bowling green pavilion to cafe / restaurant at Clapham Common Westside... LineBall Tennis's Krishna is over-the-moon!

Now serious work begins to lobby for what we THE COMMUNITY want as a sports amenity; CERTAINLY not leisure pursuit, such as "crazy-golf" glamourised as "Putting-In-The-Park".

Regards
Krishna K Siva

Putter
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Putter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:41 am

Putt in the Park is an excellent facility in Wandsworth Park. When I lived near there it was tastefully done, didn’t cause any nuisance and was very family friendly

It seems very clear that Lambeth don’t have the money to invest in the common, so attracting private investment seems a necessary compromise. That area of the common has been allowed to deteriorate very fast. Bowls is a nice activity for a fairly narrow demographic and there are other parks and commons offering it in the locality. The fact it was never THAT popular suggests it’s not the best choice here.

I appreciate everyone has different tastes, and local homeowners would have been worried about noise. But this seems a real missed opportunity to add something fun to the common that a lot of local families would have loved. And very little attempt by the objectors to put forward a better alternative (certainly any that are fully funded).

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.