New 200-seater theatre to open at Battersea Power Station

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

New 200-seater theatre to open at Battersea Power Station

Postby Community Editor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:34 pm

London's newest theatre is preparing to open its doors beside Battersea Power Station next month.

The 200-seat Turbine Theatre will be led by artistic director Paul Taylor-Mills, who made his name running Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Other Palace.

He is teaming up with Olivier Award-winning choreographer Drew McOnie to open the theatre with a revival of Torch Song, the hit play about a gay drag act in Seventies New York.

Taylor-Mills said: “I’m elated to be launching a brand new theatre at the iconic Battersea Power Station. The vision is a simple one, to enable world class artists to tell stories that enchant at the Turbine Theatre and eventually play beyond our London home.

“We’re interested in being the starting point for new shows and also reimagining the older ones. It has been a lifetime dream of mine to have a home for my ideas that feels authentically ‘me’.

“Over the last year I’ve had the most precious time curating a venue and programme that reflects my tastes and I’m really excited about welcoming those that have followed my work over the last couple of years.”

The Turbine is the latest in a line of new London theatres. Soho's Boulevard Theatre opens in October and the 2,000-seat Troubadour Wembley Park opens in July.

Photo: Turbine Theatre: The new 200-seater venue will open next month (AFP/Getty images) 
Attachments
gettyimages-1024798806.jpg

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.