Wandsworth Council declares a climate emergency

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth Council declares a climate emergency

Postby Community Editor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 am

Wandsworth Council has set itself the target of becoming the greenest borough in inner London.

At a meeting on Wednesday night, council leader Ravi Govindia laid out his ambition for the borough to play its part in tackling climate change – with the goal of being carbon neutral by 2030 and a zero-emission council by 2050.

“The threat of climate change to our environment is one that none of us can take lightly," he said."It is a threat to our way of life for us and future generations.

“Councils therefore must join the fight to address the drivers of climate change. We need to do our bit to stop the huge impacts on our environment and begin the process of reversing the damage. This is something I feel passionate about.”

Environmental initiatives already brought in by the council have included switching to LED street lighting, promoting electric vehicles and introducing electric charging points around the borough.

The declaration of a climate emergency was music to Green MP candidate for Tooting Glyn Goodwin's ears.

Ms Goodwin had previously organised a petition calling on the council to make this move, a petition that garnered more than 12,000 signatures by the time of last night's meeting.

"The knowledge, skills and technologies exist to do this - it’s simply a matter of understanding and accessing them," she said.

"This long-term project will have an existential effect on the future lives of all residents and their families. It really is beyond politics." She also had a message for Mr Govindia.

"Residents from Battersea to Putney to Tooting are putting their faith and trust in you and all your councillors and officer colleagues to take on this enormous challenge and to commit to doing whatever it takes to achieve it."

The council leader acknowledged that it would be a big task, but something he would tackle head first. 

“We want to see this borough moving in the right direction in the fight against climate change and going forward no area of council life will be left unchallenged," he said.

"By being creative and practical across all parts of the council we will be working towards the goal of cutting emissions and reversing climate change.

“I will be personally driving this work and I know Wandsworth residents will want to help and play their part in achieving that goal. Together I am confident we can reach our target of being the cleanest and greenest inner London borough.”

Attachments
CE Pic 2.jpg

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.