Garratt Lane improvements proposed

2 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Garratt Lane improvements proposed

Postby Community Editor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:59 am

A package of measures is being considered to make Garratt Lane safer and more attractive.

The council’s cabinet member for strategic planning and transportation, Cllr Paul Ellis, is keen to slow down traffic, encourage cycling and improve conditions for pedestrians using the road, which runs for about two-and-a-half miles from Wandsworth to Tooting.

Up to 20,000 vehicles a day use the busy road, which is part of the UK’s Strategic Road Network. It is also popular with people using Southside Shopping Centre, Earlsfield railway station and nearby shops, bars and restaurants.

Cllr Ellis said: “Garratt Lane is in part a thriving neighbourhood road and in part a thoroughfare linking two town centres. I believe both can co-exist. I have set engineers the task to come up with proposals for how best to deliver this.”

Proposals such as changes to roads, pavements and kerbs and introducing new cycle lanes will be considered. Changes will be designed in order to slow down traffic and help support a 20mph speed limit.

Cllr Ellis said: “We have successfully introduced a 20mph limit on many of the borough’s roads, and we would like to do the same in Garratt Lane. However, as a major arterial route that can have higher speeds than those often found in 20mph zones, this needs to be done carefully and alongside other measures.”

Engineers hope to report back to councillors later this year, prior to wider consultation. 
Attachments
garratt-lane.jpg
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Garratt Lane improvements proposed

Postby Denwand » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Headline;
 "GARRATT LANE IMPROVEMENTS PROPOSED"
Comment from Councilor;

"Cllr Paul Ellis, is keen to slow down traffic"

Improvements? - To slow down traffic?...Has the good Councilor ever seen Garratt lane during the daytime?

It was so congested that my bus had to wait for the lights to change 5 times before it could get through the junction with Magdalen Road!

A sloth dragging a steamroller could not be slower! If the average speed on Garratt Lane ever gets beyond 3 MPH  I be very surprised...and they want to "Slow it down" to "Improve it"?...Ye gods!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.