Richmond’s King’s Observatory is open to the public this month for only the second time in its history.
The 250-year-old building was commissioned by King George III and was originally built to observe the transit of Venus across the Sun in 1769 and is now leased from the Crown Estate by Robbie Brothers of Kew Holdings Limited.
Following the success of opening the building for the first time in February the Georgian structure is open again this month. The observatory, is in the middle of Old Deer Park in Richmond, is a mix of restored Georgian architecture and Mr Brothers’ own collection of Chinese antiquities.
The main reception room is of Georgian design but is now filled with Ming vases and modern Chinese ceramics.
The observatory itself has been useful in many scientific enterprises over the years, and the Met Office was based there between 1910 and 1985.
Following the success of the initial tours, the plan is to open up the observatory twice a year.
The observatory is open every weekday with tours available from 10am
For more information, visit https://www.visit.kingsobservatory.co.uk