New local campaign group, 'Parents for Future' tackling the climate emergency and protecting our children's future

6 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

New local campaign group, 'Parents for Future' tackling the climate emergency and protecting our children's future

Postby Community Editor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am

A group of South West London parents, grandparents and carers concerned about the climate emergency and its impact on the future of all of our kids has got together to form 'Parents for Future'.

The parents are passionate volunteers and this is very much a grass roots movement. Everyone is welcome to join.

From engaging local MPs, to campaigning government, raising awareness, encouraging our high streets to cut down on single use plastic and reducing cars around our schools, these guys are at the forefront of the very serious climate emergency affecting all of our children.

To learn more or to sign up to their cause, please join their facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/ParentsForFutureSWLondon/

They are holding their first event on Wednesday 29th January called "Are your finances fuelling climate change?"

Financial advisors will be talking about how you can use your bank accounts, pensions and investments to support a lower-carbon future.

The event is taking place at Uncommon cafe on Northcote Road.

When: 7:30pm - 9:30pm Wednesday 29 January

Where: Uncommon, 184 Northcote Road, SW11 6RE

For more information about the event or to register interest, visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/651512398926353/

Photo credit: Facebook / Parents for Future 
Attachments
78996586_103088681193406_8128350153141649408_o.jpg
Kirsty
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: New local campaign group, 'Parents for Future' tackling the climate emergency and protecting our children's future

Postby Kirsty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:21 pm

It's a brilliant group to be part of, super organised and lots of fun as well. 
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: New local campaign group, 'Parents for Future' tackling the climate emergency and protecting our children's future

Postby chorister » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm

For anyone living around here there is big lesson pointing to a way to contribute.

For about a decade up to 2017 emissions from passenger vehicles across the EU fell steadily. Since then they have been edging up again, for two reasons - about 10% of the rise has been caused by the switch from diesel (which is 20% better for the climate) back to petrol; the other 90% has been from the surge in SUV sales.

Every single one of those SUVs is on the road because an individual decision to buy it was made by someone who when push came to shove thought there were higher priorities than combating climate change.  And we live in an area with one of the highest concentrations per capita of SUVs in Europe.  Join the dots .........

This won't get solved by trying to starve oil companies of capital etc by changing investment decisions.  It needs individuals to put the common good and the future before their own priorities.
ParentsForFuture
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ParentsForFuture » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:15 pm

Yes, this is a great point. So this group was established to combat the issue in many ways (not just divestment). Firstly, we try to help by encouraging adults to take action against climate change by providing examples of ways to reduce emissions (and yes, we agree, car use is one of them).

We also plan to support young people to take action by speaking at schools and educating parents and teachers alike about the issues and, most importantly, arming them with positive ways to take individual action.

We also work in lobbying for change at a political level. In fact, one of our most recent pieces of work in this area is our Response to the Report of Wandsworth Council chief executive on the Wandsworth Environment and Sustainability Strategy Action Plan.

While we fully support what the Council is trying to achieve, our response sets out ways we think the plan could be even more ambitious and where the actions could have more measurable targets attached to them. We've done this with the aim of making our borough the kind we would like our children to grow up in, and the action the Council must take to safeguard their future. 

If you are interested in how we plan to achieve this, please take a look at the report saved on our facebook page: 

facebook/ParentsForFutureSWLondon

... and don't forget to join us by following us. 
twinmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby twinmum » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Agreed Kirsty - it’s great to be part of a group that is so active, not just in giving ways we can help as individuals (like not driving an SUV or any car!) but also I love the group is getting stuck into lobbying for bigger scale changes.

We can’t meet the necessary targets set if we wait for individuals to catch on, so change at a policy level is also needed.

The council’s plan and the Parents for Future response doc to the council’s plan (on the Facebook page) is something everyone in Nappy Valley should read.
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:11 am

@ParentsForFuture ... I appreciate your response.  I was actually expecting to get 'flamed' over my remarks about SUVs.  I'm afraid I can't look at the report on Facebook or follow you;  my background is IT and I am far, far too suspicious to join any social media, even including LinkedIn.  And I'm out of London on the 29th.

I've been interested in this for about 20 years.  The earliest event I can remember was a lecture at the LSE in about 2003 by Sir David King, who was then the government's Chief Scientific Adviser.  He predicted that the most visible impact on the UK would be flooding, and on Australia wildfires.

I find the subject both terrifying and because, of the intellectual challenges it poses, fascinating.  One tough one to get one's head around is that the climate is NOT the same as the environment.  For example, diesel cars are about 20% better for climate change than petrol, but worse in terms of particulate emissions.  And the Danish EPA did a study on plastic bags which it helpfully published in English at https://www2.mst.dk/Udgiv/publications/ ... 4-73-4.pdf.  An organic cotton bag is 149 times worse for climate change than an LDPE plastic bag ie 149 LDPE plastic bags have the same carbon footprint as one organic cotton bag!  The answer is actually to re-use LDPE bags.

Some other facts - the biggest exclusively renewable supplier of electricity in the UK is Shell Energy.  BP is equipping all its forecourts with 150kW fast chargers to facilitate the roll out of EVs.  And look at this absolutely fascinating trial going on right now https://hydeploy.co.uk/ again backed by fossil fuel companies.  I'm not defending fossil fuel companies, and have no connection with them, but too many of the protests are too simplistic.  Those companies have immense resources, expertise and knowledge, and need to be co-opted as part of the solution rather than being demonised.

I think one of the key lessons that children must be taught is that they are likely to have to resign themselves to a lower standard of living - it is inconceivable that we can continue consuming at the same rate whilst India, Africa and other places develop without wrecking the whole planet.

Over the years I've accumulated a lot about this.  If you are interested in the views of an old man from a generation that has spent all the money, wrecked the environment and pushed house prices out of reach, then pm me!

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.