Floreat parents call on council to install pedestrian crossing on 'increasingly dangerous' stretch of road

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Floreat parents call on council to install pedestrian crossing on 'increasingly dangerous' stretch of road

Postby Community Editor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:37 am

A group of parents say the situation outside an Earslfield school is becoming "increasingly dangerous" and have called on the council to remedy this.

Kate Bunkall is leading a campaign that would see a pedestrian crossing installed in Garratt Lane at its junction with Farlton Road, which would be just outside the office of Floreat Wandsworth Primary School.

The Floreat is a free school that opened in 2015 and started filling from the bottom.

Mrs Bunkall says that as the student population grows, as do the concerns of parents.

"We are gradually growing each year which means more and more children joining and inevitably crossing Garratt Lane several times a day," the mother of two said.

"Many families cross at the end of the day to go to King George's Park and to use the facilities at the Nuffield, which I'm sure the council would support in terms of getting children to be more active.

"The crossing is especially dangerous when cars and lorries are parked in the bays outside the two pubs and it's almost impossible to see what is coming."

Her youngest travels in a buggy and Mrs Bunkall often finds herself have to venture out into the road so she can see what traffic is coming.

"As my older daughter grows up I fear I won't be able to let her walk to school on her own and have some independence because crossing Garratt Lane is simply too dangerous," she added.

"The situation is becoming increasingly dangerous with lots of families crossing Garratt Lane and being forced to dodge the traffic constantly."

As part of her campaign she started an online petition which has already amassed more than 300 signatures.

When contacted for comment about the campaign, a Wandsworth Council spokesman said: “Once we receive the petition we will consider its merits in accordance with our road safety policies.”

Currently the closest pelican crossings to the school are at the Kimber Road/Swaffield Road junction and next to Atheldene Road/Haldane Place. They are roughly 240 and 160 metres away from where

Mrs Bunkall and the group of parents would like to see a crossing installed.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.