Coronavirus: UK supermarket rules on shopping with children

3 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Coronavirus: UK supermarket rules on shopping with children

Postby Community Editor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:47 am

SEVERAL supermarkets have come under fire after one single mum claimed a branch of Aldi stopped her from entering with her five-year-old son in tow.

Multiple similar posts subsequently appeared from other angry parents claiming to have been told they couldn't enter a store with their children.

As a result, the UK's supermarket giants have gone on record to update shoppers on exactly here they stand on the issue.

ASDA

Asda wrote on Facebook: "You may have seen posts being shared on social media suggesting that families with children won't be allowed into our stores from tomorrow. This isn't the case.

"Everyone in the UK is being asked by the Government to shop sensibly and only when required. Where needed, we are limiting the total number of shoppers we allow into a store at any one time.

"If possible, it would help us greatly if you could bring fewer family members when visiting our stores. This will help us maintain social distancing guidelines we already have in place."

Sainsbury's

Children are allowed in stores and it isn't restricting the number of adults per household allowed inside.

However, it is asking customers to only send one adult per household where possible to avoid overcrowding.

Aldi

Aldi has said it is not restricting people shopping with family members, but it has asked customers to try to ensure only one person per household attends.

Waitrose

Waitrose is asking customers to send only one member of the household to do the shopping if possible - although, it recognises this is not always the case.

Morrisons

Has no restrictions on how many family members are present.

Tesco

Despite encouraging a "one person per household" rule on those entering its stores, Tesco says it has not placed a ban on children accompanying a parent whilst shopping.

Lidl

Whilst limiting the amount of people allowed in at any one time, Lidl has no restrictions preventing parents from shopping with their children.

Co-op

It does not exclude children and says store employees should ensure to use common sense when dealing with a parent who has a baby/young child with them.

It confirms none of its stores are placing any restrictions on parents bringing their children to stores, at the moment.

Use your common sense, people. Be sensible whilst shopping for food, take as few people from your household as possible, minimise the risk to you, your kids, other people and our NHS. Practice social distancing and only go out when necessary and for exercise.
Attachments
Sainsbury's.jpg
Konoha
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Coronavirus: UK supermarket rules on shopping with children

Postby Konoha » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Thank you for the useful information. I wish you all good health!
parsleysong
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Coronavirus: UK supermarket rules on shopping with children

Postby parsleysong » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you, I had wondered whether I'd be stopped when I took my 12 year old to Sainsburys Colliers Wood with me yesterday for a big shop. It was either that or leave her in the car for 40 minutes which I didn't want to do. Glad to hear the supermarkets are being sensible about it rather than imposing a strict no kids rule. 

There was a report of a police officer being abused by a family with 6 children shopping together at Morrisons when told they shouldn't be shopping as a group of 8. Some people are just hopeless idiots and it's a shame when the rules get set to the lowest common denominator because of them.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.