The birthplace of Harry Potter was not a cafe in Edinburgh but a flat in Clapham Junction

2 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

The birthplace of Harry Potter was not a cafe in Edinburgh but a flat in Clapham Junction

Postby Community Editor » Fri May 22, 2020 8:02 am

In some light hearted news today, JK Rowling did not start writing the Harry Potter books at the Elephant House cafe in Edinburgh, but in her flat above what was then a sports shop in Clapham Junction (pictured). (However, she did write parts of the book at the cafe so it's not a complete lie!)

JK Rowling shared the pic of her flat on her twitter account and I'm sure many of you will recognise the location. She tweeted:

"This [Clapham Junction] is the true birthplace of Harry Potter, if you define 'birthplace' as the spot where I put pen to paper for the first time.* I was renting a room in a flat over what was then a sports shop. The first bricks of Hogwarts were laid in a flat in Clapham Junction."

Let's hope the Harry Potter walking tours in Central London don't come down to this part of South West London but I'm sure many a little Harry Potter fan will be delighted to know that it all started on our doorstep!
Attachments
28665892-8344433-Joanne_shared_a_snap_of_her_Clapham_Junction_flat_and_called_it_-a-38_1590076538684.jpg
misslolita123
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: The birthplace of Harry Potter was not a cafe in Edinburgh but a flat in Clapham Junction

Postby misslolita123 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:04 pm

I've read about this before and it seems that it's true. A really interesting piece of information. I've been a fan since the first books came out and then when the movies brought on all the hype I was really happy cause a lot of themed Harry Potter things started to appear and a lot of nice artwork and an amazing community on 4chan, then on Tumblr, all of the stuff that was hot at that moment. A few days ago the girl I babysit showed me this quiz https://quizlagoon.com/quiz/harry-potte ... ravenclaw/ and it made me so happy to see younger kids still loving this world.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.