Wandsworth urges Mayor to introduce 20mph speed limit on all red routes

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth urges Mayor to introduce 20mph speed limit on all red routes

Postby Community Editor » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:37 pm

Wandsworth Council has written to the Mayor of London asking for all red routes to be reduced to 20 mph.

In a letter to Sadiq Khan, Cllr Paul Ellis, the council’s cabinet member for strategic planning & transportation, has urged for a reduction in the speed limit on all the roads that run through Wandsworth where the council does not have jurisdiction.

Below is an image of all the red route roads in Wandsworth which are owned by TfL. None of these currently have a 20mph speed limit and both residents and the council have become increasingly frustrated with speeding on these roads throughout the borough.

Cllr Ellis believes the 20mph speed limit now needs to be mandatory across all of Wandsworth.

In his letter, he said: “[Wandsworth] was one of the first Councils in the country to roll out a 20 mph speed limit in the majority of residential streets. Our ambition is now to become the first Council in the country to have a 20 mph speed limit throughout the borough.

“On 9 June I will be asking our Strategic Planning & Transportation Overview & Scrutiny Committee to approve my proposal to introduce a 20 mph speed limit on all A and B roads controlled by Wandsworth Council.

“There are, however, a number of TfL roads in our borough where the speed limit is currently greater than 20 mph. I am therefore writing to ask you to reduce the speed limit on all those roads to 20 mph. It would be extremely helpful to receive your reply by 9 June in order that I can share it with the committee.”

He added: “Whilst writing, we are extremely concerned about an increased amount of speeding on some roads in Wandsworth. I am sure other boroughs are experiencing the same problem. As one of your responsibilities as Mayor is to set police priorities I am writing to formally ask you to make speeding enforcement one of your key policing priorities.”

Read the letter in full here: https://wandsworth.gov.uk/media/6737/le ... y_2020.pdf

TfL owned roads in Wandsworth include:

- Upper Richmond Road
- Part of West Hill
- Wandsworth High Street
- East Hill
- Marcilly Road
- Huguenot Place
- North Side Wandsworth Common
- Battersea Rise
- Part of Clapham Common North Side
- The Avenue
- Clapham Common West Side
- Amoury Way
- Fairfield Street
- Kingston Road
- Roehampton Vale
- Roehampton Lane
- Swandon Way
- Trinity Road
- Tooting Bec Road
- Upper Tooting Road
- Tooting High Street
- Balham High Road
- Balham Hill
- Wandsworth Plain
- Ram Street
- Roehampton Lane
- Wandsworth Roundabout
- Part of Clapham Common North Side
- York Road
- Battersea Park Road
- Nine Elms Lane
- Elspeth Road
- Latchmere Road
- Battersea Bridge Road
- Cambridge Road
- Princes of Wales Drive
- Party of Putney Bridge Road
- West Hill (Part - Eastern)
- York Road
- Wandsworth Roundabout
- Trinity Road
Attachments
red-routes-map.jpg

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.