Users and residents of Burntwood Lane - Much needed changes to speed restrictions and road layout.

11 posts
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Users and residents of Burntwood Lane - Much needed changes to speed restrictions and road layout.

Postby KatherineHepburn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am

Hi to everyone who uses Burntwood Lane,

This will probably include all of the 315 houses, Burntwood Girls School, Ernest Bevin College, Finton House School, Ironsides, Spencer Lawn Tennis, Nightingale Community School, Trinity Fields... and anyone who uses the playground, Wandsworth Common, Springfield Hospital (inc Mayfield Gymnastics).. etc etc..

We need your help.

As many of you will have already noticed the traffic on Burntwood Lane has increased 10-fold since the new building site on the golf course was started. However, we have had plenty of traffic problems on this road for many years now.
It may surprise many of you to know that Burntwood Lane (unlike all of the surrounding roads including Magdalene Road) has remained at 30mph. This is regularly exceeded by cars, motorbikes and lorries heading up and down the road at any speed which suits them.

This is a concern as we have seen many accidents at the roundabouts near Trinity Fields and further down the road with both pedestrians and cyclists being hit.
We have had cars in front gardens and one very recently ploughing into Nightingale School itself.

Alongside this road we have very thin pavements for everyone (including small children) to walk along and it is becoming more and more dangerous. There is also only one zebra crossing along the entire road. So nowhere for school children to safely cross.

We have created a petition requesting that the road speed be reduced to 20mph in keeping with the surrounding areas, that the pavements are widened to make travelling to school, clubs and work much safer, that parking restrictions are implemented in relation to the Springfield Construction site with clear signage and that traffic slowing measures are put into place (although not speed bumps as we found before that the lorries just bounce over them! nor the current chicanes as drivers practice their Formula 1 moves along them!).
We also need someone to speak to the Springfield Construction site to ensure that Burntwood Lane is not the only road that the cement mixers and lorries spill out onto. We all need to take a share of this traffic.

This road, used by so many people and so many, many children needs to be given a great deal of TLC. The stark difference between Burntwood Lane and Magdalene Road makes this very clear.

If you can sign this petition and pass it around we would all be incredibly grateful. If you have successfully lobbied to reduce your road to 20mph and have any advice it would be well received. If you are a councillor who could guide us forward please do get in touch.

The link is: http://chng.it/PJ29MBxM
Please share it around to anyone you know who visits or uses Burntwood Lane. 
Thank you so much. 
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Users and residents of Burntwood Lane - Much needed changes to speed restrictions and road layout.

Postby Denwand » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:10 pm

KatherineHepburn wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 am It may surprise many of you to know that Burntwood Lane (unlike all of the surrounding roads including Magdalene Road) has remained at 30mph. This is regularly exceeded by cars, motorbikes and lorries heading up and down the road at any speed which suits them.

Three points;

1) Burntwood Lane is a bus route and like most, if not all, bus routes it has a 30mph speed limit - it is also a "B" road (B229) so it's not like small residential streets it is meant to be a main through fare (although I believe it's controlled by the council and not TfL).

2) As a bus route speed humps need to be a lot smaller so buses can cope with them - you cannot impose high 20mph speed humps to limit speeds

3) If the current 30mph limit is being exceeded why do you think "speeders" will take heed of a 20mph limit? They won't.
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Users and residents of Burntwood Lane - Much needed changes to speed restrictions and road layout.

Postby KatherineHepburn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Hi Denwand,

How nice of you to reply. It's great to have your support.

1. Bellevue Road is also a bus route and a B road and is 20mph as are many other roads around the borough.

2. I stated above that speed bumps are not the solution and no one is requesting them.

3. If 30 is the limit then drivers go above 30. If 20 is the limit yes they may go above, but usually still under 30. Do you feel that 20mph zones do not work? Would you prefer the entire borough to go back to 30mph? I think that you may have some issues convincing folk of that.

Thanks 

Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks for your presumption KatherineHepburn two points again;

1) What gave you the presumptive idea that I supported your petition? 😁

2) Where did you read from my points that I wanted the borough to go back to 30mph everywhere? - I do not

Please stop trying to manipulate my post by inserting with your own wants and desires and painting me as a "30mph everywhere" proponent - Thanks!  😁

windmill26
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby windmill26 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:32 pm

@KatherineHepburn ,signed and shared.Thank you for posting. Burntwood lane definitely need another crossing .
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Thank you @windmill26  😊
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Surely the solution to people exceeding the speed limit is to have more working speed cameras. Trinity Road could also use them to prevent motorcyclists treating it like Brands Hatch. Chicanes and speed bumps end up hurting everyone whereas speed cameras only target those breaking the limit. But I agree - 20mph would be more appropriate.
juliantenniscoach
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby juliantenniscoach » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:41 pm

As an observation I would say the cycle path is almost useless coming up Burntwood Lane.  Most of the time cars are parked in it and the way it runs across junctions on the left, feeds the cyclist into traffic turning out the side roads.
KatherineHepburn
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby KatherineHepburn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:34 am

Agreed @juliantenniscoach the cycle lane is a mess too. Bad for the cyclists but also for the pedestrians as it runs across areas where pedestrians attempt to cross the road. It is so important that this road gets some serious TLC.
Please do sign the petition and spread the word. So many people use this road for school, leisure, sports or because they live along it. 

Lovingsleep
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Lovingsleep » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:27 pm

I’m interested in this, any update please?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.