The London Streetspace programme - Balham to Colliers Wood

10 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

The London Streetspace programme - Balham to Colliers Wood

Postby Community Editor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:48 am

As London continues to emerge from the lockdown we will need to find new ways to travel.

Enabling social distancing on public transport will mean that only those who have no alternative will travel in this way.

Others will have to find alternatives. However, if the number of trips taken by private vehicles increases, London will find to a halt, with essential deliveries and emergency services stuck in gridlock. That's why TFL and the London Boroughs are developing the Streetspace programme to create more space for people to walk and cycle safely whilst social distancing as well as make London greener.

The scheme between Balham and Colliers Wood is a strategic cycling corridor which follows the Northern Line from Colliers Wood to Elephant and Castle with connections onwards to City of London. Plans will help to reduce pressure on the Northern Line and assist local buses by making it safer for people to walk and cycle through the area.

Further information is available at tfl.gov.uk/streetspace
Attachments
image1-4.jpeg
image0-4.jpeg
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: The London Streetspace programme - Balham to Colliers Wood

Postby FLH03 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:04 am

I got this letter yesterday.

While I am fully in favour of making travel and life easier, safer and healthier around our area for cyclists, pedestrians and road users - this plan which sets out changes along the Cycle Highway 7 makes numerous changes to the way we can access roads to the right and left off, and crossing, the A24 (Balham, Tooting High Road, down to Colliers Wood).

I can't see it on the TFL website yet, and I know the distribution was fairly random (me but not others in my road, (and we will no longer be able to drive into our road from the Balham side)) so people who will be effected may not know about it.

Worth looking at the detail.
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 pm

LoveShoes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby LoveShoes » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Just looked this up on the link.

No left turn from Balham High Rd into Chestnut Grove is going to be a nightmare for anyone living on Chestnut Grove, Calbourne, Airedale, Mayford, Fernside, Gosbarton, Hearnville and Ravenslea Rds, and the knock on effect for Nightingale Sq, Ramsden, Endlesham etc will be pretty hideous not to mention the schools and nurseries in that area. We all know from experience that the junction with Chestnut Grove and Boundries Rd at the mini roundabout by the Regent can’t cope when access to Balham High Road is restricted.

Has there been any type of consultation?
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 am

No consultation required
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
FLH03
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby FLH03 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Still not sure when this is starting "mid-late July" TFL have not been any more forthcoming on details.

So if you have comments about the effects of the scheme or suggestions for changes or improvements please email streetspacelondon@tfl.gov.uk

If you have concerns also please email your local councillors, they can be found here:
https://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/the-counc ... uncillors/

and the local MP, can be found here:
https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

Details of all the road restrictions/access closures here:
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/general/f2826d1b/
atbattersea
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby atbattersea » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

This has already been rolled out elsewhere. If you drive along Grosvenor Road, from Vauxhall Bridge to Chelsea Bridge most of the right turns are now disallowed. When you get to Chelsea Bridge you cannot turn left over the bridge.

The most annoying part of this is that this is a major arterial road, and there is no advance notice of this prohibition.

While I understand that TFL wants to make life easier for cyclists, it doesn’t seem to consider that this means drivers have to take longer routes, which inevitably means more congestion and more pollution
dudette
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dudette » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:59 am

Maybe that’s because people making the decisions are MAMILs! The number of cyclists is still tiny compared to other road users and while I’m all for reducing pollution I think this just makes it worse. I will never cycle on London’s main roads as I think it’s far too dangerous and I object to the fact that so many have to suffer massive inconvenience to allow a very small minority to use the streets of London as their gym substitute.
wasateacher
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby wasateacher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:26 pm

A plea to cyclists: in many places there are perfectly adequate routes for cyclists which do not come into conflict with pavements and pedestrian routes.  Why is it then that so many cyclists still make life difficult and unpleasant for pedestrians?  If they showed more respect for pedestrians then their argument about being good for the environment might hold good.  The footpath (with a no cycling sign) has an enormous number of cyclists racing along it, despite there being a perfectly good quiet route on the other side of the railway line.  For many cyclists it seems to be the classic of bullying: those who are bullied seek to bully another group who are more vulnerable.

Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:22 pm

Also electric scooters 😱

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.