Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood to be up and running mid August

26 posts
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood to be up and running mid August

Postby livegreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:57 am

The whole point of these schemes is to force vehicles off the roads and reduce the total number of cars journeys.  There may as a result be a short term increase in pollution on main roads, but also a drop in overall pollution in surrounding areas where cars are now discouraged.
This will further encourage people to walk to schools, shops, restaurants down their less polluted roads which will have further health benefits and lead to less pollution.
Creating a better environment for all.

Yes some will be inconvenienced- mainly those who have built their lives around car use BUT the writing has been on the wall for a long time about pollution, climate change, health issues etc.

Time for change is here and will undoubtably lead to better outcomes for all community in the longer term.

livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 am

Denward - You state “38% of people in Wandsworth have mobility issues and great difficulty walking” I cannot see this in the report you attached.
Could  you find a link and share as interested to see the facts around this.
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:36 am

livegreen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:05 amDenward - You state “38% of people in Wandsworth have mobility issues and great difficulty walking” I cannot see this in the report you attached.
Could  you find a link and share as interested to see the facts around this.

If you read my post I said 34% NOT the 38% that you have stated.

The actual figure is 34.9% so I underestimated it it!
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:54 am

Hi Denward,

The report/link does not back up your claim whether it is 34 or 34.9% - it does not even mention Wandsworth or great difficulty in walking.
Could you please clarify as you were using this figure to validate a point ?
thanks 

Curiousity_Cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Curiousity_Cat » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:57 pm

Oh dear Denward

That report says the absolute opposite of what you’re trying to suggest.

While the overall percentage of disabilities in the UK is 34.9%, that includes everything from autism to physical disabilities. It absolutely isn’t physical impairments.
The proportion with mobility issues is 13%

The report also says the overall disability rate in London is just 14%
So if we apply to same proportion to work out the mobility issue rate for London, it comes out at 5.4%

So, to clear things up, you are worried about the 5% of people in Wandsworth (even though most of Streatham is in Lambeth???) who have mobility issues?
Not the 95% of people who have no mobility issues?
Or the large proportion of people who will hugely benefit from clean air and lower pollution?
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Oh Dear Curiosity Cat,

Disabled and having mobility issues are not the same thing,

The MAIN point here is the LTNs and TfL proposals assume that preventing and obstructing private cars is acceptable because everybody can "Switch to cycling" instead.

Pretty much of a "Marie Antoinette" statement don't you think? 

"If they can't go by car - Let the peasants cycle!" 😁#

So to clear things up dearest Curiosity Cat...

Are you seriously saying that 95% of the residents in the LTNs will have no physical problem cycling?

Really?

livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:51 pm

Denward - I had assumed you were making a valid point about about 34.9 % of Wandsworth residents having mobility issues and having great difficulty in walking.
It is now clear you made that up to try and make a point, but have been called out. Usually with reasonable and intelligent folks that would be the end of it but now you try to switch the focus away from your misleading post.

Further nO-one has stated that everyone needs to switch to cycling - that was your own inference - and it’s clear you are not strong on drawing points from a report  - even the ones you post.  

The aim of LTNs if of course to reduce non essential car journeys and to encourage more sustainable methods of transport which include walking, public transport, cycling, car sharing etc.  Hope that helps you understand. 

this_is_cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby this_is_cat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:41 am

Of course disabilities and mobility problems aren’t the same thing which is was why it was so surprising that you tried to claim they were in your initial post. Where you also tried to apply a national percentage despite the report very clearly stating a much lower London one.

I think we can all agree statistics and facts aren’t your strong point!

Clearly, far too many journeys are made by cars in London despite excellent, cheap and plentiful public transport options, and a majority-healthy population who are capable of walking or cycling for many of their journeys

This document has some interesting facts on car usage, including that around 30% of journeys are under a mile
And page 14 shows that Lambeth and Wandsworth are the highest ranked ‘inner’ boroughs for daily car usage.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/technical-not ... london.pdf
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Nice bit of fudging and avoided the question dearest this_is_cat! 

My question to you is clear dearest Curiosity Cat...

Are you seriously saying that 95% of the residents in the LTNs will have no physical problem cycling?

Really?

Curiosity Cat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Curiosity Cat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:53 pm

“ Are you seriously saying that 95% of the residents in the LTNs will have no physical problem cycling?”

Please can you point out where I said 95% of people will have no physical problem cycling? Seriously or otherwise?

And can you also kindly confirm why you said “ May I remind you 34% of Wandsworth residents have mobility issues and have great difficulty walking - let alone getting on a bike!” when it is completely and utterly untrue?
JohnF
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby JohnF » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Hi,

I've been living in the area for many years and I find the amount of traffic to have been raising steadily year on year. I welcome the changes and hope they will extend the scheme throughout Lambeth.

There are so many options for getting around in London that using a car seems utterly selfish. Cars are polluting and take up a lot of physical space in our environment.

John.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.