Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood to be up and running mid August

26 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood to be up and running mid August

Postby Community Editor » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:11 am

Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood is due to launch on August 15.

It follows the Oval Triangle, Railton, and Ferndale LTNs, which aim to reduce through-traffic and encourage walking and cycling.

Signs have been placed within the upcoming LTN, which includes all the streets within the boundary of where Streatham High Road, Leigham Court Road, Leigham Vale, Norwood Road, and Christchurch Road link up.

One sign for a camera-enforced filter has been placed in Palace Road just before the junction with Daysbrook Road.

Another has been placed in Amesbury Avenue where it meets Emsworth Street , while another is located at the junction of Downton Avenue and Hillside Road.

It is unclear exactly how many and which streets will have filters yet.

The council said it chose Streatham Hill as residents living east of the A23 “raised issues of traffic volumes and speed” during its ‘Our Streets’ consultation in 2018.

“Traffic surveys show that a high proportion of traffic using local roads are taking short cuts through, with over 6,000 vehicles a day using some streets.

“The majority of households in the neighbourhood do not own a car and the vast majority of residents, 64 per cent, use public transport to travel to work, whereas only 14 per cent travel by car.

“When we looked at the collisions per household this neighbourhood ranked highly.

“There are also a lot of schools and schoolchildren who live in the neighbourhood,” according to the council.

Its data shows that within the upcoming LTN, the majority of traffic during peak times is through-traffic.

Hillside road can have more than 250 vehicles travelling northbound at the busiest hour, with more than 230 vehicles going southbound – 85 per cent is through traffic.

TfL had plans to revamp Streatham High Road, which include making some side roads in Streatham Hill no-entry, though these have been paused because of Covid-19.

“This could reduce the traffic volumes on some local streets but concentrate higher volumes of traffic on others.

“The low traffic neighbourhood is an opportunity to address any issues by lowering traffic volumes across the area,” according to the council.

Part of the aim of the Streatham Hill LTN is to create a “high quality ‘healthy route’” on Hillside Road for people making local trips on foot and by bike, “particularly to and from schools in the area, and as part of a wider link between Herne Hill and Streatham”.

Lambeth is bringing in a host of LTNs across the borough, funding by the Mayor of London’s Streetspace scheme.

The council was awarded £2.6 million, the highest out of all London boroughs.

The TfL funding aims to help councils bring in emergency transport measures in the wake of Covid-19 to aid social distancing and to promote active travel.

256793575.jpg

Photo: Amesbury Avenue
lizziesg
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Streatham Hill low traffic neighbourhood to be up and running mid August

Postby lizziesg » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Does anyone have a plan of what the road layout will look like from today? I live here and have no actual information of the results of the very minimal consultation to residents.
Ray Wavertree
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Ray Wavertree » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:23 am

The changes involving installation of the bus gates and cameras are draconian. I live in this neighbourhood and I also drive, - I also certainly would contest the fact that "Most of the residents do not drive" and say it is a complete fabrication - These measures will force all the residents to now travel along the A23 and make right turns on to either Downton or Cricklade Ave's from the A23. This will vastly congest the main road and cause accidents as this is an extremely busy arterial road and will in fact reduce the traffic to virtually one lane as there is also a bus lane, and with the number of vehicles that will need to make right turns to access their homes on Amesbury, Wavertree, Cricklade, Downton the rest of the traffic will need to use only one lane. Yet again the residents of the ABC estate who drive are being ignored in favour of traffic management schemes which while are needed, are poorly, if at all, thought out and always at the detriment of residents who are car drivers.
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:29 am

https://streathamhilllowtrafficneighbou ... e.is/about

There is a map here but it's pretty poor
tony2002
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tony2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi,

I live on Amesbury Ave, I receive a detailed map from Lambeth council about a month ago. It shows exactly where each of the changes will be made. If you haven't had one contact them I'm sure they send another one. This scheme was initially outlined in February (they sent a letter then as well), the council has brought it forward because of Covid.

As for the scheme, it's brilliant! I own a car and I more than willing to sacrifice a bit of time on those occasions to make our roads safer. I'm fed up with the speeding drivers trying to cut a couple minutes off their journey through our streets.

T
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:34 pm

tony2002 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pmHi,

As for the scheme, it's brilliant! I own a car and I more than willing to sacrifice a bit of time on those occasions to make our roads safer. I'm fed up with the speeding drivers trying to cut a couple minutes off their journey through our streets.
T

Sorry Tony are you  just 18 years old by chance??? :?:

Do you have to use your car to get to the hospital, get to medical appointments since you are physically impaired and cannot travel any other way,ferry elderly residents around, ferry young children around, shop for a family of four?

Or have you only just got your licence and drive to meet your mates very occasionally?

If so it may give you a different perspective of the dangerous,polluting,life threatening mess that is the LTN scheme... :o :shock:

Just wondered?
tony2002
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tony2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Hi Denwand, ( Is that your real name? ;) )

If you mean the 2002 in my username? that's just a random number I picked.

I live on Amesbury Ave and I have 2 young children that I need to walk to school (a long with dozens of other families). Having these boy racers cutting through our street makes it very dangerous.

I'm sure you have your motives on why you want to maintain the status quo but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the welfare of the local residents.

T
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Apologies then  tony2002

You wrote "you have your motives on why you want to maintain the status quo but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the welfare of the local residents."

There are plenty of motives, gridlock,Emergency Vehicles stuck in traffic and the traffic stuck because it's forced into main roads leaving side roads solely for cyclists that don't use them, increased pollution form idling gridlocked traffic, elderly and disabled who need cars,taxis,buses etc to get about - do you care about the welfare of other residents that are frail, disabled or ill unlike yourself or do you just want to ban people from your road?

Here's an objection from Tooting Police about Ambulance and police delays - do you think the NHS and police have ulterior motives that have nothing to do with the welfare of local residents too?

Attachments
$1114a.jpg
tony2002
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tony2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Sounds like you're a well rehearsed lobbyist.

From what I've seen so far there a two camps forming for the positive and negative. On the positive side you have local residents who have specific examples of how these changes will improve their lives. And on the negative side we have lobbyists and the drivers who are not of the area that only have general examples on how the scheme will negativity impact a general group of undefined size and location.

T

Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:58 pm

Not a lobbyist

Are the Police, Fire Brigade and NHS lobbyists too?
tony2002
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby tony2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:15 pm

https://consultationsDOTtflDOTgovDOTuk/ ... sult_view/
The whole A23 will be narrowed to make room for cycle lanes and people.

Looks like you're fighting a losing battle. Every year there will be less cars on the road and more space for people and bikes.

Emergency services aren't effected by the modifications in Streatham Hill as the can pass through freely. In fact it means they will have an easy cut through without the usual traffic. So your whole argument is misplaced.

T
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:35 pm

You said "Emergency services aren't effected by the modifications in Streatham Hill as the can pass through freely. In fact it means they will have an easy cut through without the usual traffic."

That's exactly what they said about the Tooting and Wandsworth LTNs and look at the Mayhem!!!

Might be better if instead of theorising you came up and spoke to  real Wandsworth residents living in this nightmare.

You wrote "there will be less cars,more space for bikes "   

May I remind you 34% of Wandsworth residents have mobility issues and have great difficulty walking - let alone getting on a bike! ... Now your real aims and agenda have been revealed, have you no sympathy for those older and less able than yourself in your quest to turn your road into a gated community?

Your own family and children's lives may depend on a fast response  Ambulance , Fire Engine or Police Car! :o
livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:31 pm

The best way to improve the access of emergency vehicles throughout London is to reduce the number of other motor vehicles on roads.
How do you achieve this ? Make people think as to whether they need to drive - most do not.

Only way to reduce pollution in London is to reduce the number of motor vehicles on the roads.
How do you achieve that? Encourage people to walk, cycle or use public transport. Taking the car should be for essential journeys only - if people only used cars for essential journeys.......everyone benefits in the long term.

34% of Wandsworth residents have mobility issues - I’m surprised by that number but if correct they would definitely benefit from less vehicles on the roads so there would be less traffic if they had to get somewhere and unable to walk or use public transport their journey would be quicker.

Most people drive because it is convenient not because it is essential or for the good of their community.

All the current road changes may be inconvenient but the aim and intention is for the good of all our community and we all need to get used to it.

livegreen
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby livegreen » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Air pollution is the biggest environmental threat to health in the UK, with between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths a year attributed to long-term exposure. There is strong evidence that air pollution causes the development of coronary heart disease, stroke, respiratory disease and lung cancer, and exacerbates asthma.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/publ ... nce-review
Denwand
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Denwand » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:00 am

So why increase air pollution by causing gridlock and idling vehicles throughout our area?

I drive an an electric car and I cycle - still forced ( sorry "encouraged") to drive in endless traffic jams by being forced into main streets with everyone else.

The idea behind it (reduce traffic) may be laudable but the planning and implementation is ham-fisted with a draconian options of  (dictated by ideology NOT evidence based planning)

a) Walk or
b) Cycle or
c) Stay at home

Any alternative bus,taxi,private car journey heavily punished

As for mobility issues in he population;

https://sportengland-production-files.s ... -facts.pdf

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.