Friends of Ernest Bevin School fundraise for student laptops

1 post
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Friends of Ernest Bevin School fundraise for student laptops

Postby Community Editor » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:36 pm

266475577.jpg.gallery.jpg

A school in Tooting is raising money to provide students with laptops, to create fairer opportunities for children over lockdown.

During the UK’s second lockdown FEBS (Friends of Ernest Bevin School) have launched a campaign so that children can continue their education if they need to self-isolate or the school shuts again.

Over 40% of children at the Secondary School on Beechcroft Road, SW17, qualify for Pupil Premium - the Government’s measure to identify children most in need of additional support.

As a result, Ernest Bevin College has loaned laptops to more than 80 disadvantaged children so they could continue their studies online since the beginning of the pandemic in March.

However, the School is concerned that some children still cannot access its learning platform and online resources, creating a wedge between those with technology and those without.

Children without their own computers are forced to do their homework on phones or laptops shared with parents and siblings at home.

Each laptop costs around £200 and the School is now calling for donors to sponsor a child’s education.

FEBS will host on online quiz night on Saturday (November 28) for their “Laptops for Life Chances” initiative which is backed by famous alumni.

Former-pupil and current Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, urged people to donate in a video message.

“One thing I’ve always championed is something I call the London promise – work hard, get a helping hand, you can achieve anything.”

“I want pupils at all London schools to have as much support as possible so that they can fulfil their potential,” he said.

Actor and writer, Lennie James, who attended the School from 1977-82 added that providing laptops would allow children to “dream beyond their immediate situation.”

You can donate to the School’s fundraiser here - https://app.investmycommunity.com/ernes ... llege-2359 or register for the quiz by emailing febs@ernestbevin.london

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.