Worrying incidents in the months before Sarah Everard's disappearance. Are they connected?

9 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Worrying incidents in the months before Sarah Everard's disappearance. Are they connected?

Postby Community Editor » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 am

A series of local worrying incidents has left locals wondering is there a possible connection between these incidents and the disappearance of Sarah Everard last Wednesday evening?

This has been posted on one of the local social media sites:

There has been a pattern of very worrying incidents in the last few months before Sarah Everard's disappearance, and apart from the Tooting Common sexual assault, all happened on or within 100 metres of the route Sarah would have taken on 3rd March:

1) October 2020, man came out of grounds of St Matthew's Church, Brixton Hill at around 10 pm and tried to get a passing lady to come into the grounds with him. When she wouldn't, he started following her saying he would come with her then, whilst making threatening comments to her. She ran away. She says description of man matches that of man in incident 5) below

2) 16.11.20 a young woman was sexually assaulted in the woodland area of Tooting Common in Broad daylight at 4 pm, by 6 ft tall man in brown leather jacket https://tooting.nub.news/n/woman-left-t ... 1605620479

3) Sexual assault of a young lady on 14.1.21 on Hydethorpe Rd at junction with Radbourne Rd viewtopic.php?f=197&t=118216&sid=900541 ... e12d949ff9 

4) On 2.2.21 lady was chased by a man outside Palace Road surgery on Christchurch Rd

5) On around 21.2.21, a 14 year old girl on Rodenhurst Rd was followed by man in a van. Man in green camouflage-style hoodie, medium build, 20s or 30s, black.

Are the reports connected? Praying Sarah Everard is ok. Please everyone, keep yourselves and your loved ones safe.

Metropolitan Police are asking the public to call detectives on 0208 785 8244 if they have any information which could possibly help with the disappearance of Sarah Everard last week.
Mal
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Worrying incidents in the months before Sarah Everard's disappearance. Are they connected?

Postby Mal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 am

On the 8th of February on New Park Road I was also followed into the Tesco, I was walking down the street of New Park Road down the street which I confirmed and then followed me in to the Tesco following me around, then the cashier told him to leave if he was not purchasing anything, when I was out he was still waiting for me. Description of the man same as above.
outnumbered
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Worrying incidents in the months before Sarah Everard's disappearance. Are they connected?

Postby outnumbered » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:21 am

Sounds very frightening, Mal.  

Have you reported it to the police on the number above? I imagine Tesco will have CCTV footage which could prove very helpful to them, and very easy to find as you know the date and time you were there.
ronangel
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby ronangel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 am

justbeenmeme
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby justbeenmeme » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:19 pm

5) On around 21.2.21, a 14 year old girl on Rodenhurst Rd was followed by man in a van. Man in green camouflage-style hoodie, medium build, 20s or 30s, black.

why use the word "black"?
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:27 pm

justbeenmeme wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:19 pm

why use the word "black"?

It helps eliminate 97% of the population from suspicion (source: 2011 census) and therefore allows resources to be more efficiently focused.
sidmeister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sidmeister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 pm

I found it particularly disturbing that one of the posters on a different thread claimed they'd called the police on a black man "matching the description" in Streatham (which, given the vagueness of the description, could be any one of thousands of people in Lambeth). 

I think it's possibly appropriate, given all of this, to call out at this point that the person arrested in connection with the disappearance was a white man in his 40s according to the Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erard.html

P.S.: Sorry if this offends anyone, but there's a rather long historical trend for men of colour to immediately fall under suspicion under these circumstances. This tendency can result in - and has resulted in - multiple innocent black men being lynched for having committed no crime in the United States (google Emmett Till). I'm not drawing a direct parallel between what has been said here and the lynchings in the USA, but I cannot help but point out that the underlying mindset that men of colour are somehow predisposed to sexual violence directed at white women is not helpful in the least.
NVNV
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NVNV » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:53 pm

3.3% is for England and Wales. In London, 13.3% of the population is black according to the 2011 census.

However a much more straightforward answer is that skin colour is a regular part of police descriptions, including white.
chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

NVNV wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:53 pm
3.3% is for England and Wales. In London, 13.3% of the population is black according to the 2011 census.

However a much more straightforward answer is that skin colour is a regular part of police descriptions, including white.

You are quite right about the numbers, and also with your second point.  I was just irritated that someone who never seems to have posted before seemed to be trying to exploit a terrible situation to stir up division.  Apologies if anyone was offended (genuine apology intended, not a weasel-worded one).