London Steiner school in Balham rated 'inadequate' by Ofsted is still not meeting all standards

16 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

London Steiner school in Balham rated 'inadequate' by Ofsted is still not meeting all standards

Postby Community Editor » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:24 pm

The independent London Steiner School in Balham, which charges between £4,320 and £9,400 in annual fees, was rated inadequate in all areas in 2018 https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/27/101073 

Though the school has made improvements since then in the quality of education provided, the latest monitoring inspection on 10 February 2021 found that the “school does not meet all of the independent school standards”. 

According to the inspection report, following the standard inspection in November 2018, the Department for Education (DfE) required the school to prepare an action plan to outline how leaders plan to meet the unmet standards.  

London Steiner School, Balham

The action plan was evaluated by Ofsted in March 2019, and was judged to be not acceptable.  “Following the monitoring inspection in July 2019, the DfE required the school to prepare another action plan. The DfE rejected this action plan,” according to Ofsted.  

According to the findings of London Steiner School’s inspection leaders have made “significant improvements” since the last one on how they articulate written plans around the curriculum.  

“The curriculum coordinator has worked closely with teachers to develop well-structured schemes of work.  

“These are well understood by leaders,” according to the report.  

It states that during the previous inspection leaders were not able “to articulate their curriculum plans in a coherent way”, but the latest inspection found that leaders have “prioritised the building of their curriculum plans”.  

It also states that the school’s assessment procedures are now well understood and it “continues to have strong safeguarding procedures in place”.  

“However, leaders have not ensured that the school has met all the independent school standards at the last three inspections.  

“During the school’s previous standard inspection in November 2018, the school was judged to be inadequate with many unmet independent school standards.  

“The school did not meet all the independent school standards during the most recent progress monitoring inspections in July 2019 and in January 2020.  

“Consequently, leaders do not demonstrate that they consistently meet all the independent school standards over time.  

“Therefore, the standards relating to the quality of leadership and management of schools remain unmet," according to the findings which were published on the Ofsted website on 16 March 2021.  
Last edited by Community Editor on Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
mummymaia
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: London Steiner school in Balham rated 'inadequate' by Ofsted is still not meeting all standards

Postby mummymaia » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:11 am

I take a big issue with this being posted. Please send me details of whom posted this and why. I will be making a formal complaint and raising this matter further. This looks like a community editor posted this from your community. Is this correct please?

I have only good things to say about this school. This school has been an incredible support for my son through lockdown. Incredible. If there's one school in wandsworth that has not traumatised the kids further, throughout this very traumatising time for children, it's this school. It's a blessing it exists. They have followed all the rules to a T. They are meticulous with them. And yet, the children do not know the difference to such a degree that I have only seen my son thrive throughout lockdown.

The level of care, personal attention, and kindness given to each child is beyond what I have seen in any other school in the area, and I spent 2 years working in this area in schools a few years back, so I have experienced many of them, first hand. 

My son has been in this school during some of lockdown due to both his parents being keyworkers.

So to post this, when all schools need right now is support and praise, is in my eyes, is a travesty and worse. And all I need is support, quite frankly, so if this school is impacted by this post, then you impact my ability to be there for those in need at this time.

And I feel so passionate about this school's positive impact in the neighbourhood, that I will be raising this matter further. And like I have said, the MOST important thing is that the children feel safe, learn and grow in their kindness and care of themselves and each other, and this school epitomises this.

What you have done, whomever posted this, is not supportive of me, my son, the wider community or indeed those others that need support that I and my partner are providing.

Busybeemumof2
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: London Steiner school in Balham rated 'inadequate' by Ofsted is still not meeting all standards

Postby Busybeemumof2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:42 am

Not sure how controversial this is. It is just reporting the findings from Ofsted, which is available to the public.
pencilcase
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby pencilcase » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:17 pm

I think that if I were considering this school I would be glad of the update. All of this info is out there in the public domain?
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi Mummymaia
Thank you for your reply. If you email me on annabel@nappyvalleynet.com we can arrange a time to speak if that is helpful?

Annabel
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
NVHusband
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby NVHusband » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:20 pm

@ Annabel- not too sure why you need to engage with mummymaia. Her/ his issue is with OFSTED, not the messenger.

Mummymaia’s post is just a rant with very little argument why NVN should not provide transparency of an official report... 
muddyboots
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby muddyboots » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 pm

What do you want to report mummymaia, freedom of speech ?
Ridiculous reaction.
Kath365
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kath365 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:12 pm

While the article is factually correct, it omits certain information and so doesn't paint the school in a very good light. The report from the latest inspection in February is actually very positive, and shows that Ofsted now consider that the school meets all the Independent School Standards for Quality of Education. All that remains is that they must show that they can 'consistently' meet those standards, which will be determined at the next inspection. This is just how the Ofsted process works. If at the next inspection the school can show that they have consistently upheld all the Independent School Standards they will earn a new outcome. All the reports are available to view on the school's website. I also feel it's important to add a little background, for anyone who is interested. Traditionally Steiner Schools in the UK have been inspected by the School Inspection Service, at the request of the Department For Education. But in 2018 the Department for Education ordered Ofsted to inspect all Steiner schools. The inspectors that first carried out the inspections had little knowledge of the basic principals of Steiner education, and, for example, did not know that Steiner schools were not required to ensure that the younger children reached the same age related expectations as the national curriculum (incidentally one of the reasons we chose to send our children to a Steiner school). In subsequent inspections the inspectors were better briefed. Unfortunately London Steiner school was one of the first to be inspected. You can read all about this in a letter written to Ofsted by Vince Cable MP on 1st November, 2019. The London Steiner School (and all other UK Steiner Schools, in communication with the Steiner Waldorf Schools Fellowship UK) have worked incredibly hard since 2018 to mould the wonderful Steiner ethos to meet Ofsted's strict requirements, without diluting the Steiner ethos too much. I have nothing but positive things to say about the school. It's such a wonderful, nurturing environment and the staff have been incredibly supportive over the past year in particular. We have had many new families join over the past year. I would urge anyone who is interested in the school to contact them to arrange an appointment. We really are very lucky to have such a wonderful Steiner community on our doorsteps.
mummymaia
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mummymaia » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:45 am

Perhaps if some of the others posting here read the response posted by kath365, you can see why this community post is irresponsible at best, under the current circumstances, and incredibly damaging in it's impact at worst.

I'm all for 'freedom of speech' - but I'd prefer if it was an accurate reflection of truth, as opposed to what we have here.

Yes, I will be in touch Annabel. Thanks for the offer, I appreciate that.

CorianderStreet
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby CorianderStreet » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:07 am

Having been a parent at the Steiner school albeit a while ago now, I can’t say I’m at all surprised by the OFSTED findings. The few months my son was there were utterly miserable and once you understand the philosophy underpinning the so-called education on offer it is astounding that any Steiner schools are allowed to exist. The school will not tell you in any of its literature or at open events etc quite how they view child development, children with SEN etc - that only comes once you’re already in the system.

It’s vitally important that prospective parents are able to have all the available information before making the decision to send their children to a Steiner school. They are nothing like the lovely, crafty, touchy-feely reputation would have you believe
missraphaella
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby missraphaella » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:04 am

I don't agree that this post is irresponsible, in fact, the very opposite. Just because one parent' experience of a school setting is good does not mean that reflects everyone at that school. All views should be shared in the public domain, good and bad, to ensure an accurate depiction. 

I was a pupil at a Steiner school for many years, and can easily see how it could have the potential to  rapidly deteriorate given the ethos and approach it takes. The sort of libertarian/alternative approach certainly has its merits, however, there are also aspects to this which could create problematic situations. Not to mention one of the issues of Steiner in general is its very insular/inward community that can stifle people from speaking out if something needs to be discussed.

If even a single parent or carer has reservations about this Steiner school - then, as with any academic institution, sharing any concerns in a public domain is in everyone' interest. Admonishing people who have shared concerns is playing directly into the one of the core mindsets that makes Steiner problematic in the first place.
Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am

mummymaia wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:11 am I take a big issue with this being posted. Please send me details of whom posted this and why. I will be making a formal complaint and raising this matter further. This looks like a community editor posted this from your community. Is this correct please?

I have only good things to say about this school. This school has been an incredible support for my son through lockdown. Incredible. If there's one school in wandsworth that has not traumatised the kids further, throughout this very traumatising time for children, it's this school. It's a blessing it exists. They have followed all the rules to a T. They are meticulous with them. And yet, the children do not know the difference to such a degree that I have only seen my son thrive throughout lockdown.

The level of care, personal attention, and kindness given to each child is beyond what I have seen in any other school in the area, and I spent 2 years working in this area in schools a few years back, so I have experienced many of them, first hand. 

My son has been in this school during some of lockdown due to both his parents being keyworkers.

So to post this, when all schools need right now is support and praise, is in my eyes, is a travesty and worse. And all I need is support, quite frankly, so if this school is impacted by this post, then you impact my ability to be there for those in need at this time.

And I feel so passionate about this school's positive impact in the neighbourhood, that I will be raising this matter further. And like I have said, the MOST important thing is that the children feel safe, learn and grow in their kindness and care of themselves and each other, and this school epitomises this.

What you have done, whomever posted this, is not supportive of me, my son, the wider community or indeed those others that need support that I and my partner are providing.

You might have thought you were helping the school with this partisan rant, but all you have done is paint the school and it’s parent body in a bad light.

There was nothing wrong with the reporting of publicly available information.

That’s why school inspection reports are in the public domain, so people can decide for themselves with full transparency

A clumsy, cack handed attempt at censorship just makes you look ridiculous I’m afraid
Jason Umbrellabird
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jason Umbrellabird » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:16 pm

I sent my girls to this school until they both went to Brit School. Both my girls have turned out great, my eldest has a first class honours degree in Medieval History and my youngest now works at the Brit as a technician. The problem with the Steiner school stems from when it was located on Tooting Common and the fire that burnt it down in 2004. The school used all it's available funds to rebuild the classrooms at the same lovely location while reloating to a tiny church in the interim. 6 months later it was up and running again and over the next few years had over 100 pupils. All was great and the children were blossoming until Wandsworth Tories decided they weren't going to extend the lease and basically told the school to go. This was after the school had spent everything it had on the rebuild. The school started to haemorrage kids and the teachers took a £200 a month paycut, looking back we should have said "No" to tearing the school down, but everyone buckled under Tory pressure and moved back into a Church on the common until another property was found. The current property where the school is now is a pale shadow of what the school once was on the common where the children were so happy. It became difficult for everyone being there and Ofsted were waiting in the wings to swoop in and find fault with a school experiencing difficult circumstances. It now looks like the school is closing and what I call 'The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy' have won. It's very sad, the orthodox contingent of our govt don't want an alternative to how they want our kids taught, which to my mind is pretty close to being actually evil. I hope those of you that've been against our school can take a good look at yourselves and what you've contributed to.

Scottov
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Scottov » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm

Jason Umbrellabird wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:16 pmI sent my girls to this school until they both went to Brit School. Both my girls have turned out great, my eldest has a first class honours degree in Medieval History and my youngest now works at the Brit as a technician. The problem with the Steiner school stems from when it was located on Tooting Common and the fire that burnt it down in 2004. The school used all it's available funds to rebuild the classrooms at the same lovely location while reloating to a tiny church in the interim. 6 months later it was up and running again and over the next few years had over 100 pupils. All was great and the children were blossoming until Wandsworth Tories decided they weren't going to extend the lease and basically told the school to go. This was after the school had spent everything it had on the rebuild. The school started to haemorrage kids and the teachers took a £200 a month paycut, looking back we should have said "No" to tearing the school down, but everyone buckled under Tory pressure and moved back into a Church on the common until another property was found. The current property where the school is now is a pale shadow of what the school once was on the common where the children were so happy. It became difficult for everyone being there and Ofsted were waiting in the wings to swoop in and find fault with a school experiencing difficult circumstances. It now looks like the school is closing and what I call 'The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy' have won. It's very sad, the orthodox contingent of our govt don't want an alternative to how they want our kids taught, which to my mind is pretty close to being actually evil. I hope those of you that've been against our school can take a good look at yourselves and what you've contributed to.

not weird at all!  
Jason Umbrellabird
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Jason Umbrellabird » Thu May 04, 2023 11:18 am

Scottov wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:53 pm
Jason Umbrellabird wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:16 pmI sent my girls to this school until they both went to Brit School. Both my girls have turned out great, my eldest has a first class honours degree in Medieval History and my youngest now works at the Brit as a technician. The problem with the Steiner school stems from when it was located on Tooting Common and the fire that burnt it down in 2004. The school used all it's available funds to rebuild the classrooms at the same lovely location while reloating to a tiny church in the interim. 6 months later it was up and running again and over the next few years had over 100 pupils. All was great and the children were blossoming until Wandsworth Tories decided they weren't going to extend the lease and basically told the school to go. This was after the school had spent everything it had on the rebuild. The school started to haemorrage kids and the teachers took a £200 a month paycut, looking back we should have said "No" to tearing the school down, but everyone buckled under Tory pressure and moved back into a Church on the common until another property was found. The current property where the school is now is a pale shadow of what the school once was on the common where the children were so happy. It became difficult for everyone being there and Ofsted were waiting in the wings to swoop in and find fault with a school experiencing difficult circumstances. It now looks like the school is closing and what I call 'The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy' have won. It's very sad, the orthodox contingent of our govt don't want an alternative to how they want our kids taught, which to my mind is pretty close to being actually evil. I hope those of you that've been against our school can take a good look at yourselves and what you've contributed to.

not weird at all!   
Hello, sorry what is the problem? Would you like to chat? The school has closed now, does that make you happy. You obv don't know anything about the school, everything I said I believe to be true. I'm now very angry that the school has shut, it's produced some very fine, well-rounded individuals. Can you say the same?

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.