Firefighters have issued a reminder on the safe use of candles after a fire at a house under renovation in Clapham.
Half of the first floor of a three-storey semi-detached house in Honeywell Road was damaged by the fire.
Two people left the building before the Brigade arrived and were assessed on the scene by London Ambulance Service crews.
The Brigade’s fire investigators believed the blaze was accidental and involved a candle.
The Brigade was called at 12.52pm and the fire was under control by 2.07pm.
Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters from Battersea, Tooting, Clapham and Wandsworth fire stations were at the scene.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Candles, incense sticks and oil burners are one of the most common causes of fire.
“It’s really important that you never leave them unattended and keep them away from anything that could catch fire such as curtains, furniture or clothes.”
Firefighters' top candle safety tips:
- Make sure you put out any candles, incense and oil burners when you leave the room and especially before bed.
- Place candles, incense and oil burners in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won't be knocked over.
- Keep them away from materials that might catch fire - that's things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
- Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
- Led candles can be a great alternative - they're safe even if you fall asleep or forget to blow them out.