Christmas tree collection service extended until all are picked up

5 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Christmas tree collection service extended until all are picked up

Postby Community Editor » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:06 am

Wandsworth residents are being assured that the council’s annual Christmas tree collection service will remain in full operation until every unwanted tree is collected.

The council’s free collection service is being extended for at least a week to ensure every tree is picked up.

Tens of thousands are collected every year and recycled into compost as part of the council’s environmental policies.

Cabinet Member for Environment Judi Gasser said: “We know there are many uncollected trees out there and so we are extending the service for at least another week so that we can make sure we collect every single one. We’d like to apologise to our residents for this inconvenience and we will be reviewing the operation and how it’s conducted to ensure the service improves next year.

“We were hoping to complete the task within a fortnight but it’s clear we do need some extra time, so I would urge residents to please make sure their unwanted trees are clearly visible at the front of their properties so they can be seen, and I would also appeal to residents to please bear with us while we finish the job.

“We know this is taking longer than we’d hoped but residents can rest assured that we will collect every tree as quickly as we can.”

This free collection service only applies to real trees – not artificial ones – and all decorations, baubles, tinsel and stands should be removed.

For more information please visit www.wandsworth.gov.uk/waste.
BenandJerry
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Christmas tree collection service extended until all are picked up

Postby BenandJerry » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:16 pm

I do think that this is one of the worst services ever.

I reported a non collection of a tree last Friday and it was collected on Saturday, which was great, but none of the other trees on the road were picked up including one next door to me and one opposite me!!

How does this make sense? Huge waste of taxpayers money if trees are only going to be collected to order. Might need to be extended by 2 more months not 2 more weeks!

Sorry for the rant but I just can't get my head around how it can be such a mess  :roll:
Goldhawk
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Goldhawk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:14 pm

"Extended" ??? More like "Started"  - there are trees littered all over - have they done any collections?
They previously said they would collect them on bin day using a separate truck
waltzer
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby waltzer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 pm

Our street still has trees. It is so ridiculous as of course people increasingly start to put them on the pavement for fear of being missed and then they are a hazard for pedestrians and as one of my neighbours has found, the now VERY brittle needles scratch cars. 

Collect on refuse day with an additional lorry following the refuse truck. It could all be done in one week. 
muddyboots
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby muddyboots » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:15 pm

Anything to do with Labour take over?
Never ever recall it being this bad, there are trees littered EVERYWHERE blocking pavements and parking spaces.
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.