Wandsworth Council welcomes proposals for lower speeds on some of the borough’s busiest roads

9 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Wandsworth Council welcomes proposals for lower speeds on some of the borough’s busiest roads

Postby Community Editor » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Clare Fraser, Wandsworth’s Cabinet Member for Transport  has welcomed moves by Transport for London (TfL) to introduce a 20mph speed limit on some of the borough’s busiest roads.

Earlier this week TfL announced it was planning to lower the speed limit from 30mph to 20mph on major roads across the capital including the A24 and A214. This would mean safer speed limits in Tooting Bec Road and also Clapham Common Southside, Balham High Road, Tooting High Street and the Upper Tooting Road.

The changes could come into effect from September this year.

Further details of the proposal: viewtopic.php?f=197&t=127224

Councillor Fraser said: “Lowering vehicle speeds and making the borough’s roads safer for all road users, especially pedestrians and cyclists, is a key priority for the council.

“We fully support the Mayor of London’s Vision Zero ambition to improve road safety, enable more people to use healthier and more sustainable forms of travel and improve our air quality.”

Will Norman, London's Walking & Cycling Commissioner, added: “The facts are clear, a person hit by a vehicle at 20mph is five times less likely to be killed than at 30mph. We are determined to build a safer, greener London for everyone and the continued expansion of the 20mph programme on TfL roads is playing a vital role in making the capital’s roads safer for people to walk, cycle and use public transport.”
Sound Dolphin
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth Council welcomes proposals for lower speeds on some of the borough’s busiest roads

Postby Sound Dolphin » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:22 am

I read this article and the justification that TFL have made for cutting the speed limit on main roads. They are explicit that they want to cut road deaths to zero.

Being a nerd, I was intrigued to find out how many Road deaths occurred over the last few years on the A24 (Tooting high street to Balham High road etc) . TFL helpfully provided this data. Here it is:

Deaths:
2023: 0
2022: 0
2021: 1
2020: 0
2019: 1

This did not seem very many. But to be fair to TFL they are trying to get to zero. So I googled how these two people had died.

The 2019 death was caused by a motorcycle hitting a pedestrian in Balham. The 2021 death was caused by a cyclist hitting another cyclist.

There will have been accidents and injuries, but death reduction is TFLs stated aim. Not a single death in the last five years on this stretch of road has been caused by or even involved a car.
Djam
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Wandsworth Council welcomes proposals for lower speeds on some of the borough’s busiest roads

Postby Djam » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:55 am

The TfL policy covers most roads rather than one specific road. The zero deaths policy is designed to both eradicate deaths and limit the severity of accidents causing injury.
The reduced speed limit correctly restricts motorbikes and cycles to the same 20mph limit.
Kirstie’s Mom
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kirstie’s Mom » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:22 am

Sounds like more Fraser nonsense . No research just headline grabbing BS.
Cr8nberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Cr8nberry » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:03 pm

I don’t really understand why this is controversial. Is it only justified if more people have died? And if so, who would be prepared for their loved one(s) to be the tipping point statistic? Even if the officially-stated intention is ‘only’ focused on cutting deaths, reducing the number and severity of injuries is a similarly justifiable aim. Besides, traffic volume means it’s often impossible to drive at more than 20mph on these roads anyway, so why not formalise it? 
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
dimelda
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby dimelda » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:36 pm

Cr8nberry:  I entirely concur.  But most car drivers - in London anyway - selfishly believe in their inalienable right to drive wherever & whenever they want - & at whatever speed they want.  They don't give a damn about injuries or deaths to cyclists and/or pedestrians.   Reducing the speed limit is, without doubt, laudable.  And, as you say, because of congestion, average traffic speed around London is anyway lower than 20 mph, sometimes much lower.     
readysteadycook
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby readysteadycook » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 pm

Lower speeds do not equate to safer roads, just more frustrated drivers and plenty more overtaking. I never saw overtaking around here until the terrible 20mph zones were put in (at massive expensive to the taxpayer). 

All the signs also look very ugly.
Cr8nberry
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Cr8nberry » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:05 pm

@readysteadycook There’s bags of evidence, going back years, to show that lower speeds lead to fewer injuries and deaths. 

I guess it must be a question of priorities, but a few bad drivers getting frustrated is not sufficient reason to avoid making the roads safer. I get frustrated when I’m in a hurry, or when I can’t find a parking space, but there are good reasons for not pandering to inconsiderate impatience by letting me block a junction with my car. 

I can only assume from your final comment that this is all a bit of a laugh. Unless of course you find the number 2 inherently uglier than the number 3! 
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:38 pm

I agree with the 20mph limits. To be frank its becoming more and more necessary with the cycle lanes alongside which are quite annoying for anyone not on a bike ie most people! Let's think of the pedestrians and bus commuters who have to negotiate this big mess.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.