Councils condemned for 'shameful' rebranding of Black History Month

7 posts
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Councils condemned for 'shameful' rebranding of Black History Month

Postby Community Editor » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:34 am

For more than 30 years, Black History Month has been a fixture in Britain’s cultural calendar, celebrated every October in schools and at tens of thousands of events across the country. But this year the event, which starts today, is at the centre of an appropriation row as campaigners complain that a number of councils, including Wandsworth council, have scrapped the name, describing it instead as a celebration of all different ethnicities.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... tory-month
Community Editor
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Councils condemned for 'shameful' rebranding of Black History Month

Postby Community Editor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Wandsworth Council responds to criticism over Black History Month rebrand

Council spokesperson said, “We continue to recognise and celebrate black history month with many specific events. Exploring black history remains the main focus, but there are also other events that celebrate all the different faiths, ethnicities and cultures of other communities who also live in our borough.

“This is simply a name change that was made in 2014 which has not affected the wide-ranging celebration of black history but which is better able to reflect the 180 languages spoken in our schools, the fact that many cultures overlap and are shared, and that by celebrating diversity and inclusiveness in this way we are able to bring all our communities closer together."

Source: https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/new ... h-rebrand/
mum_1980
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby mum_1980 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 am

The controversy continues! The BBC online have now covered this too. Even though the decision was made by Wandsworth Council back in 2014, I think it was the wrong decision to make. I think it's disgraceful that our kids don't learn about black history in our schools. I don't think I really knew about the Windrush until I watched a documentary about it when I was in my 20s! I know there are more exhibitions and resources around these days, but it is not enough. It really needs to be taught at school. I am not black, but I do come from an ethnic minority. I appreciate the Council's effort to include everyone but I think Black History Month is for everyone and I don't think it should be diluted. We can have other ethnic events in the borough too alongside it (the more we can celebrate the better) or even at other times in the year, but there is no need to rebrand.
rooting4tooting
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rooting4tooting » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:03 pm

here is a link to one of a series of interviews Morgan Freeman made about Black History Month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcLj2CVC1VU
sloaney donkey
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby sloaney donkey » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:27 pm

I agree with the fine chaps at wandsworth council on this one. Well done them!

Mum1980 ... are you suggesting we turn each month into a different festival? Because black history would only come around once in about 10 years.

We have to be a broad church (or mosque, synagogue, temple, or whatever the shaman worship in).

Otherwise, the month would not be inclusive in this day and age, and lose its validity 100%!

And I do believe that we should be focusing on British History in schools, and stuff relevant for us. None of this airy fairy stuff the BBC give us. Windrush is fine. What happened to Locals in some small island in the last monsoon in Antarctica in 1661 is not.

Chin chin!
https://nappyvalleynet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/rampton-baseley-329%C3%97142px.jpg
http://www.ramptonbaseley.com/
https://www.portico.com/valuation/
Star
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Star » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 am

Awful decision made by philistines. Black History Month was always so compelling , rich and interesting especially enjoyed during my childhood and young years. Diversity month sounds very watered down in comparison and I don't really see the point in it.
I say this while rereading " The Lonely Londoners" by Sam Selvon and what a good read it is. and so relevant for people to read these days.
Hillingdon and Wandsworth your decision to get rid of an important beautiful 30 plus year cultural event, enjoyed by many who might not even be black, is completely rubbish . Happily looking forward to leaving Wandsworth.
Wandsworth Council
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Wandsworth Council » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:38 pm

“While some councils have chosen over the course of recent years to cease all and any celebrations of this month, we are proud to continue celebrating the historical achievements and successes of all the diverse communities that make up our borough and who all contribute so much to life in our city.

“We continue to recognise and celebrate black history month with a large number of specific events, and while exploring black history and culture remains the main focus of the many events being staged, there are also others that celebrate the different faiths, ethnicities and cultures of other communities who also live in our borough. 

“This is simply a name change that was made in 2014 which has not affected the wide-ranging celebration of black history but which is better able to reflect the 180 languages spoken in our schools, the fact that many cultures overlap and are shared, and that by celebrating diversity and inclusiveness in this way we hope to bring all our communities closer together.” 

Outlined below are details of many of the events being staged in Wandsworth's libraries to illustrate how celebrating and recognising black history and culture remains at the very heart of this month's  celebrations  

ADULT EVENTS 

Journeys – Screening of the film
Stories of migration to South West London 1948-1971
Monday 8 October 6.30-8 pm
Battersea Library

A film made by young people from CARAS (Community Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers) and children from Furzedown Primary School with arts and education charity digital:works
In 1948 the British Nationality Act was passed inviting people from the Commonwealth to come to the UK. In this film some of the people who made this journey tell their stories of leaving home to seek a new life in this corner of London. These are stories of excitement, hope and pain, the challenges of their journeys; setting up home; finding work; and going to school. Participants in the film will be present at the screening and they will join in a discussion on the themes brought out by the film.
Free - booking essential

1919: Riots, racism and resistance in Imperial Britain
Iqbal Husain and Michael Mahoney for The National Archives
Tuesday 9 October 6.30-8pm
Battersea Library

This talk and workshop is framed around the ‘race riots’ that took place in the UK in 1919 in various UK seaports such as Liverpool and Cardiff.  Using copies of original documents from The National Archives, those attending will be able to explore more about what triggered the riots, what happened during the riots and what were the immediate impacts and on-going legacy. Learning about this period provides historical context on some topical issues that audiences will find interesting today.
Free - booking essential

Tracing Afro Caribbean Ancestry
Kathleen Chater
Friday 12 October 6.30-8pm
Battersea Library

It is often assumed that it is difficult or impossible to research Black ancestors in the former British colonies in the Caribbean. However there are many records in this country and increasingly online that can enable people to trace their family history.
Free - booking essential

Celebrating London’s Women of Colour
Joyce Fraser & Pamela Ivonne-Cole
Wednesday 17 October 6.30 – 8 pm
Battersea Library

An exciting and interactive event presented by the Black Heroes Foundation - Joyce Fraser FRSA with Pamela Ivonne-Cole, international singer, songwriter and host. It presents some amazing work in relation to Black Female Londoners of note, with open mic available for audience participation. The audience is invited to bring their spoken word or songs that they wish to share.
Free – booking essential

Untold Histories
Kathleen Chater
Friday 19 October 6.30-8pm
Earlsfield Library

Black people have been part of the British population for centuries, long before the Windrush generation. This is a whistle-stop tour from Roman Times to the World Wars in the 20th century, encompassing soldiers, sailors, servants, shopkeepers, students, escaped slaves and their myriad histories.
Free - booking essential

African headwrap workshop
Sylvia Emodi
Saturday 20 October 11am-1pm Battersea Library
Thursday 25 October 2-4 pm York Gardens Library 

The richness of African textiles, the variety of materials, the combination of colours and its use as an expression of rituals, communication and art is something that is conventional as well as contemporary. Learn about African textiles with fashion designer and textile artist, Sylvia Emodi.   As part of the session, the workshop will give you an opportunity to get practical with a range of craft techniques. Suitable for the entire family.
Free – booking essential

Re-imaging Mother Goose through the ages
Exhibition by Andrea Anderson and talk by Ferelith Hordon
Wednesday 24 October 6.30 -8pm
Putney Library

This unique exhibition takes a personal look at a traditional children's classic - Mother Goose; the imaginary author of a collection of fairy tales and nursery rhymes. The exhibition by Andrea Anderson showcases a diverse and multicultural Mother Goose with children from mixed race heritage and immigrant communities. The talk by Ferelith Hordon centres on the beginnings and interesting history of this much loved character and its fascination for children and parents alike.
Free – book at the library

EVENTS FOR CHILDREN

Black History Inventors Workshop by Ruth Edmondson
Tuesday 2 October Battersea Park Library 2pm
Wednesday 3 October York Gardens Library 2pm

Every-day we use things, often without wondering how they came to be. Join us at the Black History Inventors workshop and learn about some of the Inventors behind the things we use every-day.
Ruth Edmondson is a qualified Psychotherapist and Author She has created fun and interactive activity books, games and educational resources that are aimed at helping children discover more about black history.
Free - booking essential

Learn to make African masks – Melissa
Saturday 6 October Roehampton Library 11am
Saturday 6 October Wandsworth Town library 2pm
Saturday 13 October Earlsfield 11am-12pm

Unleash your creativity and have fun!
Free – booking essential

Handa's Surprise
Friday 19 October Battersea Park Library 2pm
Friday 19 October York Gardens Library 3.45pm
Come and join Librarian Amma Poku as she brings to life the delights of Handa’s Surprise and illustrates the cultural richness of Africa. For children aged 3–7
Free no need to book.

What makes a mobile phone ring - workshop
Jacqueline Mwanza
Monday 22 October Balham Library 11am
Thursday 25 October Putney library 1pm
Story telling with singing and print making bringing to life the tale of a brother and sister from The Democratic Republic of Congo and how they discover what makes mobile phones ring. ​Suitable for ages 3-7
Free – booking essential

The Greatest African Heroes workshop
Jacqueline Mwanza
Tuesday 23 October Tooting Library 1pm
Thursday 25 October Putney Library 1pm

Create a comic strip inspired by Marvel's comic book heroes from Black Panther. With ready made templates and also cut out of real life African Icons (past and present) like Mandela or Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichie, add your own dialogue to your very own epic saga!  Ka Pow! Suitable for ages 8+
Free – booking essential

Traditional tales from around the world
Tuesday 23 October 2.30-3.30pm
Tooting Library

With Children’s Librarian Heather
Free- no booking required

What colour is nude for you? 
Jacqueline Mwanza
Wednesday 24 October 11am
Roehampton Library

The Nude Gallery is a collection of items that are deliberately made to mimic skin tones i.e. plasters, make up foundation, prosthetics, ballet shoes etc...Opportunity to discuss and create Emoji style portraits that best represent you (skin tone & all) and what the colour 'nude' says about the commercial world and its' values regarding race and diversity. ​Suitable for ages 10+, Youth Clubs, Team Building, Family & Community Groups

What makes electric cars go? - Workshop
Jacqueline Mwanza
Friday 26 October York Gardens Library 3pm

Story telling with dance and collage in a tale of a young woman who learns the art of peace making through dance from a tribe in the rain forest of the Democratic Republic of Congo. What will she do when she discovers that electric cars might be putting her home town in danger? ​Suitable for ages 5 - 9

For full listings see here https://www.better.org.uk/leisure-centr ... month-2018#

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.