Risk of transmission of virus from dogs chewing balls of other households in public spaces. Please share

8 posts
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Risk of transmission of virus from dogs chewing balls of other households in public spaces. Please share

Postby GuyD73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:21 pm

We’ve been taking our daily exercise on Wandsworth Common north side and by and large people are being really sensible and keeping the two metres distance. However, this is all potentially undermined by some allowing their dogs to run around freely, inevitably chewing the balls of children from other families playing. I saw this happen multiple times this week to people playing cricket with tennis balls and our rugby and footballs got slobbered on. I'd also add that many responsible owners were keeping their dogs on leads.

Now I’m not a medical professional but if this virus is passed by droplet and physical contact, then doesn’t seem unreasonable to imagine someone coughing on their hand, transferring it to their dog’s nose/mouth, and then virus being transferred from ball to child.

Wandsworth Council may have had that in mind when issuing these instructions on WW common, so can you please ask anyone without their dog on a lead to use one please?  If they refuse I think it needs reporting to local police, not to punish anyone but to ensure that all our behaviours are changed to help us stay safe. Not blaming anyone btw but it does seem a fairly logical way to stop transmission, though to be fair to people, there’s been nothing I’ve seen in govt guidelines and this is the first local notice I’ve come across, so we really need to spread the word. Please post this pic on your social media and other local groups. Thanks and stay safe

PS. If anyone has heard medical advice about this from an informed source, I'd love to hear about it. 
Attachments
dog caution wandsworth.jpg
Gingerfizz
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Risk of transmission of virus from dogs chewing balls of other households in public spaces. Please share

Postby Gingerfizz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:20 pm

The World Organisation for Animal Health has said that there is no evidence that companion animals (dogs,  cats) are a source of coronavirus infection to humans. 

Dog owners are probably being asked to keep their dog on a lead, by the Council, in order to help maintain social distancing between people and as a precaution to ensure the safety of the community. 

I don’t think that a dog, off it’s lead in a park, is a matter that should be reported to the police.  If the Council has asked dog owners to keep their dog on a lead then it may not be the most responsible thing to do, but it’s certainly not something that our overstretched emergency services need to be dealing with during this difficult time.
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Risk of transmission of virus from dogs chewing balls of other households in public spaces. Please share

Postby GuyD73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks Gingerfizz, not suggesting they are infected or carriers but simply that a dog’s fur or nose is somewhere the virus can exist for a period of time.
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GuyD73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:51 pm

The risk might be small but I still think we should reduce it if we can. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... ce-on-wipe

Agree, perhaps not police reports aren’t optimal atm, but we somehow need to change behaviours...
GuyD73
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby GuyD73 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 pm

From Wandsworth Council
Attachments
A16EBED9-2F39-42AD-8B5E-3C0EC0DECFA2.png

Gingerfizz
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Gingerfizz » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:33 pm

GuyD73 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 pmThanks Gingerfizz, not suggesting they are infected or carriers but simply that a dog’s fur or nose is somewhere the virus can exist for a period of time.

Wash hands for 20 seconds, don’t touch your face.....whether you are worried about touching a dogs fur or a door handle, the advice is the same. 
Bunnypigeon1
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Bunnypigeon1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 pm

The problem is that most dogs need to run - taking them for a walk on a lead is not sufficient or fair for them. I think the council should expand the number of dog free zones to give families more space to spread out without worrying about dogs, but likewise there do need to be spaces where dogs can chase their balls. Dogs also need to be trained to not pick up other balls and respond to their owners promptly. Definitely not a police matter in these times though!
Qnio
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Qnio » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Aren’t you worried that virus can be a present on the grass in the park by the same token? Joggers, people playing sports do spit, sweat, cough and sneeze.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.