Does anyone have any clarity over A level exam grades?

5 posts
platinumblonde
Options:
Share this post on:

Does anyone have any clarity over A level exam grades?

Postby platinumblonde » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:03 pm

I have a son who like many boys is pretty lazy but usually manages to pull it out of the bag when he needs to. His GCSE mocks were appalling but his actual GCSE grades very good.I am quite worried for him given that his A level mocks again weren't great.

Does anyone have any insight as to how the grading is going to be managed to give students like him the truest reflection of their ability or has that ship just sailed?

Thanks for reading.
RumourMill
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Does anyone have any clarity over A level exam grades?

Postby RumourMill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:05 pm

I think that grades will be based on a mixture of mocks and predicted grades plus some assessed pieces of work. How the whole thing is moderated I have no idea.
coldatchristmas
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coldatchristmas » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:08 pm

I also understand that mocks and then actual results for individual subjects from previous years will be taken into account. I don't envy teachers at all.
rubyonrails
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby rubyonrails » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:58 pm

I really feel for teachers having to predict grades as final grades this year.
Teachers will most likely know the grade that their pupil needs to achieve for their uni choices.

How hard would it be to predict a lower grade. Awful.
Annabel (admin)
Site Admin
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Annabel (admin) » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 pm

The below has just been posted on the BBC website.

'Teachers' predictions for A-levels, AS-levels and GCSEs in England will be based on the evidence available - such as previous exam results, tests, homework, coursework, mock exams and what the regulator calls "general progress during your course".

Teachers will be asked to say what they think would have been the grades most likely to have been achieved if the summer exams had taken place - based on an overall professional judgement.But they will also be asked to put students in order of expected achievement within each predicted grade band.

This will be used to moderate the overall share of grades in schools across the country.This could mean adjusting the grades being predicted by schools if they seem too generous or harsh - and to make the overall distribution of grades consistent with other years.

Schools are being told they are not allowed to tell students the grades submitted to exam boards or how they are ranked.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52145358

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.