Bubble rules for grandparents, help!

3 posts
waltzer
Options:
Share this post on:

Bubble rules for grandparents, help!

Postby waltzer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am

Can anyone help explain this to me. I understand from the below how it works for single grandparents but I am unsure what it is saying about two grandparents.
I am trying to understand if my elderly parents can bubble with my family?  My family is a family of five - two adults comprising a husband and a wife and three school age children. The below is from the BBC website.
 'Social and family groups are complicated and might not fit bubble rules.Grandparents:
  • If you are single, you can bubble with one of your children's households, but you must stick with them
  • Households of two grandparents cannot bubble if their children live with other adults'

Appreciate that I may be overcomplicating but they don't want to break any rules. I just want to keep them safe.

Thanks for any insight!

lemonzest
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Bubble rules for grandparents, help!

Postby lemonzest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:32 am

That sentence is confusing. Because you live with another adult, you cannot form a bubble with your parents. This explains the bubble system more clearly: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/making-a-su ... 109cce8eae

You can continue to visit them in groups outside (because there are 5 of you, up to 4 of you could visit them both outside, or all of you could visit 1 of them outside). I am assuming you live in London (tier 2). In this case there are exceptions f you needed to visit them "to provide emergency assistance, and to avoid injury or illness, or to escape a risk of harm" or "to provide care or assistance to someone vulnerable". More on the latter here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -or-family
waltzer
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: Bubble rules for grandparents, help!

Postby waltzer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm

thanks so much lemonzest. much clearer now. so tricky! i'm not looking to find ways to break the law but my parents are 89 and 90 respectively and it just feels like I want to drop in on them and just make sure that they are ok

thanks again for the links, really helpful