can someone please clarify, are cleaners allowed in lockdown

13 posts
prada
Options:
Share this post on:

can someone please clarify, are cleaners allowed in lockdown

Postby prada » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:15 pm

I know it is a first world issue but my cleaner has requested to come and as she can't clean from home I am thinking that she can but the topic caused some heated debate on one of my WA groups this morning.
Could anyone clarify?
outnumbered
Options:
Share this post on:

Re: can someone please clarify, are cleaners allowed in lockdown

Postby outnumbered » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:54 pm

The government website, as mentioned by the PM last night, has full details of what we all can and can't do:

www.gov.uk/coronavirus

Here's the relevant part to answer your question:

Going to work

You may only leave your home for work if you cannot reasonably work from home.Where people cannot work from home - including, but not limited to, people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction, or manufacturing - they should continue to travel to their workplace. This is essential to keeping the country operating and supporting sectors and employers.Public sector employees working in essential services, including childcare or education, should continue to go into work.Where it is necessary for you to work in other people’s homes - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople - you can do so. Otherwise, you should avoid meeting for work in a private home or garden, where COVID-19 Secure measures may not be in place.
prada
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby prada » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:46 pm

thanks outnumbered.
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pm

My cleaner came today after a 3 week break where her wages were paid. She kept her distance and we have been isolated from others other than our household since the schools broke up before Christmas. I'm aware that she is working in other houses and so relying on others who employ her are keeping themselves isolated too. We have had the virus in the past and theoretically should be immune (?) so using our discretion here. My cleaner does want to work and says she got fed up at home and the reality is will receive no financial help if she can't work. I've told her if she or us need to isolate I will pay her wages. I think this is reasonable.
hawkes
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby hawkes » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Starr wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:09 pmMy cleaner came today after a 3 week break where her wages were paid. She kept her distance and we have been isolated from others other than our household since the schools broke up before Christmas. I'm aware that she is working in other houses and so relying on others who employ her are keeping themselves isolated too. We have had the virus in the past and theoretically should be immune (?) so using our discretion here. My cleaner does want to work and says she got fed up at home and the reality is will receive no financial help if she can't work. I've told her if she or us need to isolate I will pay her wages. I think this is reasonable.
I would suggest the most sensible option would be to follow the law but also do the decent thing and continue to pay them ie don't have them round but still pay
https://www.justgiving.com/balhamoldgits

chorister
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby chorister » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:13 pm

I think the law does allow them, but personally I think it has to be a joint decision with the cleaner taken if at all possible against an understanding that his / her wages will still be paid whatever decision is taken.  We had the discussion on the phone with our cleaner this afternoon.  I couldn't exaggerate the relief in her voice when we said she needn't come if she didn't want to use public transport.
Starr
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Starr » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:47 pm

Yes Chorister I think you are right and I will reiterate that her not coming in for a few more weeks will mean she will still get paid regardless. She insisted she wanted to but perhaps I should have insisted too.
Apparently 1 in 50 people have coronavirus in England now. With higher numbers inevitably in London. Very scary for people in jobs like hers.
Cmum
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Cmum » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 am

My friend had her cleaner over on Monday last week. Wearing a mask and keeping distance and also opening windows etc. Wednesday the cleaner started to show symptoms and feel very unwell. Friday she had a positive covid test. If you can try and not mix with anyone I think it’s best.
Even if the government says it’s allowed - I think if you can keep paying your cleaner and ask her not to come for a few more weeks it is safer.
There is a lot of Covid out there.
Indy235
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Indy235 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:48 am

Completely agree. The health service don’t want us to clap, they prefer we stay inside and keep safe. They are overstretched as it is. I understand if cleaners are self employed they can claim & if they’re employed they can be furloughed. I’m working from home with a family and my children are cleaning their own rooms to share the load. Saturday morning is cleaning morning, we have the music on and it’s surprising how quickly it’s don’t. It may be not 100 % but it’s ok for now :)

Pitterpat
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Pitterpat » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:41 am

As Indy235 above says, if they are self employed, cleaners can claim from the Government support scheme. It's super easy to do and the amount they get (and should have been able to claim since May 2020) will be a calculation based on their income over the previous three years. If they have not declared their income, then they will possibly not have much luck with it though. If they are working in other houses as well as yours, then the risk of infection is, understandably, much higher - and it's hard to be sure that all the other household members at her other jobs are being as careful as you might want them to be. If you can manage without her, it would probably be for the greater good. A bit of vigorous spit and polish, a bit of power vacuuming action, stretches with a feather duster to some good tunes and who knows, we might all find an alternative to Joe Wicks and come out of this looking with figures like Jennifer Anniston!
Kitkat04
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Kitkat04 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:59 pm

To be clear, you are not theoretically immune. I personally know several people who have had it twice. It’s dangerous for anyone to assume that. Also, you can still transmit the virus even if you are immune.
Tilly10
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby Tilly10 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 am

We have had our cleaner come too. She wears a mask at all times and we keep our 2 meter distance. If we can, we go out for our daily walk while she is in. I need the help and the government supports them but not as much as if she is actually working, so I think that it is important for her. We discussed if she was comfortable coming and she was all for it.. I guess the lockdown is to really stop any social contact - when she comes to our house she cleans and leaves.
coffeepod
Options:
Share this post on:

Postby coffeepod » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:25 am

Not that I am suggesting that everyone is in a position to do this but for those who can maybe it is best that we pay our cleaners but suggest that they stay at home so that this pandemic goes away more quickly. I'm sure that we can all do a few hours cleaning a week for a few weeks to help the situation.

Start a conversation
To create a new post and start a new conversation, please click on the button.